4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Looking to purchase SN95 Cobra -- found one, but comes with unwanted extra feature

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:45 AM
jasolution

Default Looking to purchase SN95 Cobra -- found one, but comes with unwanted extra feature

Greetings!

I'm new to the forum. I'm shopping for a '97 or '98 Cobra SVT, preferrably triple black. I looked at a fully stock, triple black '98 with 56k miles last night. Based on quite comprehensive service records, both owners have cared for the car well.

Exterior: 9.0/10
Top: 9.5/10
Interior: 9.5/10

We're at $8500 on price, but there is one (for me BIG) issue with the car...while in storage last winter, a mouse/mice made a nest somewhere in the car! Definitely a strong mouse urine smell in the car. I've found their entrance (they leave obvious evidence) which is on the driver side engine compartment at the firewall (see the pic in this link http://screencast.com/t/sBzxwtvSn). I suspect they've either setup shop inside this cover or perhaps moved further down into the duct work. It looks like there are about 6 to 8 hex head screws holding the plastic cover to the firewall so perhaps may have access to remove the nest or whatever else is in there. Can anyone confirm this?

This is not a pic of the car I'm looking at, btw, but illustrates just the same.

Thanks!

Jason
Old 08-20-2009, 10:42 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Haha that is a weird problem to have when looking to buy a car. Reminds me of the "Pimp My Ride" episode where they found a whole crap load of mice in the dash when they were tearing down the car.

Good luck with the mice issue!
Old 08-20-2009, 12:18 PM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

Definitely mice....i can smell them from here.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:51 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Years ago I a mouse made home in the intake of my FLH Harley, I drove it about a mile before it stalled and I had to drag mouse bits out of the carburetor--it seems the rest went out through the exhaust.

If you can evict them, and clean things out reasonably well, go by a pet store and ask about stuff they have dealing with urine stink--they work pretty good, but on damp days you still might need to crack a window...
Old 08-20-2009, 05:09 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Be carefull. I remember one user posting about how a mouse ate into his harness or something not to long ago. Would suck to finally get a Cobra only to have mice destroy your experience!
Old 08-20-2009, 05:10 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

animal urine smell is the hardest to get out... it's because of their diets... yea your best bet is a de-odorizer from petsmart... also, get in there and make sure everything was removed.... maybe the mechanic can do it for you if you're interested in buying the car... it sucks that you found what you wanted yet it smells like a roadside motel.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:27 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

buy the car throw a trap in it over night with some food. catch the bastard(s) and get a good amount of deodorizer in there
Old 08-20-2009, 06:58 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

offer him 5000 for it for having to put up with biohazards
Old 08-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

have a mechanic check it out, and maybe try to drop the price a little while your at it b/c of the issue

and one word.....Febreeze!

and lots of it.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

If that is the car you want and the only issue, I would try to get the price a bit down. Then, I would go mouse hunting. I think you can do it if you are diligent and aren't on a quick time schedule. GOod luck either way.

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase SN95 Cobra -- found one, but comes with unwanted extra feature