4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Built/Forged Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:21 PM
mustang430
3rd Gear Member

Default Built/Forged Motor?

Hi all. I currently have a 2002 GT with a vortech s-trim @10lbs making 410hp. Im looking to up the boost to about #12 and make roughly 430hp. Im goin to stick with that power as long as the motor holds up, but im starting to think about a built motor. Im unsure of what exactly i would need so im lookin for some advice. Im thinking of either going through D.S.S or MMR. I do know some things i would want but im unsure of what all i would need to achieve the 500-600hp i want. Im leaning towards a 5.0stroker setup with stage 2 cams and stage 2 stock heads. I just wanna know what some of you would do to achieve my HP goal? what intake should i run? thanks for any input.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

well, first things first, both of those engine companys are good, DSS was my hands down choice when i had my 70 mustang, read an article about how detailed they are with thier blueprint process, someone bought a motor and tore it down just to check all the specs, i call that dedication lol. But i dont know how they are in the modular department, which is all MMR does, so hard decision. either would probebly be a good choice though. I would go with a 5.0 stroker if money allows, you get more TQ and hp. I would also go with dished pistons, stage 2 stuff would probebly be plenty to get you to that goal, but are you looking for whp or fwhp? cuz big difference lol. i imagine though, that a 5.0 with stage 2 stuff and probebly around 15psi wouldnt have any problem reaching those numbers, reliably.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:02 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Built shortblock, heads and blower cams, bigger head unit(or upgraded smaller one that you will be spinning way too fast), and all the supporting mods im sure youre aware of. You always wanna build for more power than you are going to make as an "insurance policy" if you will. If your motor is built to support 600 and youre making 600...youre at a fine line of breaking or not. So get it built for 800 or so so you have more growing room. I would say talk to both D.S.S and MMR and whichever one you feel comfortable dealing with after interaction with them, then go with that one. You will hear stories about everyone on forums...both good and bad. But its all in what you feel comfortable with. I wouldnt do the stroker shortblock as you will see no power increase from it and you will increase the stress on the rotating assembly with the longer stroke with a supercharger. So just do a big bore block if anything. Bigger bore will give you more power(but not much). But just do a little bit of research on your own and give places a call and just figure out which one you would want to deal with to fit your liking.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:10 PM
mustang430
3rd Gear Member

Yeah im aware of all the supporting mods that im gonna need. Im just tryin to get a good plan put together for a motor so i know what i want when i decide to pull the trigger and order it. I planned on upgrading to a t-trim when i built the motor.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

i dont totally agree about the not noticable power from the stroker,altho you may not notice whats coming from the stroker if you up the psi and get a totally new top end, but it will still be there. but i do see your point about stress. i dont know how stress affects the stroker 4.6s
Old 08-21-2009, 12:28 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Do you have a budget in mind?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang430
Hi all. I currently have a 2002 GT with a vortech s-trim @10lbs making 410hp. Im looking to up the boost to about #12 and make roughly 430hp. Im goin to stick with that power as long as the motor holds up, but im starting to think about a built motor. Im unsure of what exactly i would need so im lookin for some advice. Im thinking of either going through D.S.S or MMR. I do know some things i would want but im unsure of what all i would need to achieve the 500-600hp i want. Im leaning towards a 5.0stroker setup with stage 2 cams and stage 2 stock heads. I just wanna know what some of you would do to achieve my HP goal? what intake should i run? thanks for any input.
I won't recommend more than 400 rwhp on stock bottom end and I don't care how good of a tune you have it you drive her drive something is going to break. But if you must try it on stock block, I recommend instead of smaller pulley to obtain more power, go with blower cams or long tube headers it will reduce your overall PSI/compression within your motor and give you extra 20 rwhp you are looking for. Just keep rpms below 5500.

I went with MMR 800 built block.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:38 AM
mustang430
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
I won't recommend more than 400 rwhp on stock bottom end and I don't care how good of a tune you have it you drive her drive something is going to break. But if you must try it on stock block, I recommend instead of smaller pulley to obtain more power, go with blower cams or long tube headers it will reduce your overall PSI/compression within your motor and give you extra 20 rwhp you are looking for. Just keep rpms below 5500.

I went with MMR 800 built block.
I have had 410hp/393/tq on my car for over a year now and its been through some abuse I trust my tuner to let me know when i shouldn't throw more power too it. Ive seen another GT like mine with nearly the same mods with the exception of him having stage 2 blower cams and he made 457rwhp and never had an issue. I strongly believe its all in the tune till you get to a certain point. Id like to say 450hp will be fine for awhile with a good tune.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:50 AM
HateWhatOwnsYou
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
go with blower cams or long tube headers it will reduce your overall PSI/compression

ummmm.... no it dont.

blower cams are designed to let more boost in. no matter what you do, the blower is still pumpin in the same amount of air and the pistons are still squishin the same amount.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:22 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

But...you will see a drop in boost pressure by adding the cams or the longtube headers or both for that matter.

Quick Reply: Built/Forged Motor?