4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New throttle body size

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:32 AM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Default New throttle body size

My next purchase after I get the x-pipe will be a bigger throttle body. Probably going to go for the 75mm (biggest I will go). When I purchase this, do I have to get a different plenum also or will a 75mm fit on a stock plenum. Also, whenever the CAI I ordered last month decides to get here, will it fit on a 75mm throttle body. Was kind of running short on money when I ordered it so I got a cheap one from Slickcar. Its a Spec-D CAI for a 4.6L mustang. I will be upgrading to a better one when the cash flow starts coming in again.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:35 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

CAI's dont make much of a difference anyways..i couldnt tell a damn thing happened when i put my BBK one on. i'd get a plenum too, they're only like 100 bucks.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:45 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

what sucks is that cheap CAI probably hurt your car and you paid for it.

The stock CAI is actually a pretty good design, if you bought a cheapo one you are probably downgrading. Should have just went with a K+N drop in filter.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Roush2002
3rd Gear Member

its a shame how some of you guys are in such a rush you cant wait to save a little more for something worth the money. Skimp now you will pay later so why do it

I don't get why people waste money on a throttle body when you dont need to. I still have the stock throttle body on with my mods and have no intention of changing it until I have to. If I can use a stock one with a blower, cams etc, why would someone with no mods feel like they will get noticeable gains from throwing a bigger throttle body on the car. For what???? you have not maxed out the flow rate of the stock one, so what is putting a bigger one on supposed to do?

Last edited by Roush2002; 08-24-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:11 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roush2002
its a shame how some of you guys are in such a rush you cant wait to save a little more for something worth the money. Skimp now you will pay later so why do it

I don't get why people waste money on a throttle body when you dont need to. I still have the stock throttle body on with my mods and have no intention of changing it until I have to. If I can use a stock one with a blower, cams etc, why would someone with no mods feel like they will get noticeable gains from throwing a bigger throttle body on the car. For what???? you have not maxed out the flow rate of the stock one, so what is putting a bigger one on supposed to do?
Lets reverse the situation. Why would someone with an extensive list of mods skip something so simple/cheap as a throttle body? I know you could get some more HP out of your setup with a larger TB.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:44 PM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

I don't know, I wouldn't break the bank for a TB or plenum, but a month or two ago I slapped on a $110 plenum and I was actually quite surprised and pleased with it. Is it drastic? Of course not, but it's noticeable. Not real sure you're going to be able to quantify much of anything on a dyno, but the better throttle response is a plus. I'll be putting on a TB sometime soon.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Roush2002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by black35th
Lets reverse the situation. Why would someone with an extensive list of mods skip something so simple/cheap as a throttle body? I know you could get some more HP out of your setup with a larger TB.
I cant add anymore without forging. Too risky.

Is it really worth changing a throttle body on a n/a car with no power adders though?
Old 08-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Roush2002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MJH78
I don't know, I wouldn't break the bank for a TB or plenum, but a month or two ago I slapped on a $110 plenum and I was actually quite surprised and pleased with it. Is it drastic? Of course not, but it's noticeable. Not real sure you're going to be able to quantify much of anything on a dyno, but the better throttle response is a plus. I'll be putting on a TB sometime soon.
is the throttle response real noticeable? That was the reason I wanted to change mine out. The guys doing my work said i would be wasting money and that the stock one is fine.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:00 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by Roush2002
is the throttle response real noticeable? That was the reason I wanted to change mine out. The guys doing my work said i would be wasting money and that the stock one is fine.
With your setup you'll see some gains
Old 08-24-2009, 01:43 PM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

I've only done the plenum. It was fairly noticeable, the throttle response, that is. According to the flow #'s I've seen, I should see even more of a gain from putting the TB on. However, if you're going to do one at a time, you want to do the plenum first. An aftermarket TB with stock plenum isn't a great idea.

Quick Reply: New throttle body size