4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

2 buy or not 2 buy, 99 GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 06:53 AM
Oldman 98GT

Default I agree

Drive it. With a good body, interior, and drive train, that is a good buy, even if you have to do some engine work. Congrats on a Son with the get up to work for his ride.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:47 AM
Roush2002
3rd Gear Member

i have always looked at it like this. If the car is very clean inside and out and looks like it was pampered then it most likely was. That said, sometimes this is not the case. I am like that so I believe it can be true. I tend to think that people who beat on their cars like rag dolls typically are not **** about keeping the car spotless, meaning the engine, interior, exterior etc. Now I know some people will say thats bull**** but like I said thats just my opinion. I see it in my own circle of friends with sports cars. The ones who wash them every few days, don't take them out on rainy days etc are the ones that you will rarely catch driving the **** out of their cars.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by AllThrtl
I quizzed him about the condition of the drivetrain and such he says that the intake broke causing it to overheat and blow a head gasket. He removed both heads, had them surfaced and reworked. Replaced all the gaskets and installed the updated manifold. Says the car runs perfectly, absolutely no issues, smoking, leaks, anything... Typically, when someone tells me it overheated and blew a head gasket, I just move along and find something else. But my son has his heart set on this one and it is a pretty good price...
ok well...i would have a hard time believing how it broke...im assuming that car was raped all the time leading to the bad head gasket....

these motors have built in safetys to prevent overheating, the car will actually shut off if it gets too hot....i cracked my intake and was on the way home, was like 5 miles away so didnt want to call AAA...well my coolant all drained out, so i stopped to let it cool down then tried to make it home...got about a mile from the house and the car started to miss real bad, and no matter how much gas i gave it, it was not moving anywhere and i had to shut it off....cooled off, fired right up and got me home

A safety arrangement is provided to protect an internal combustion engine from excessive temperatures in case of an abnormality in its circulating cooling system. In response to failure of an electrical coolant pump, the safety arrangement generates signals for retarding the ignition and/or reducing the fuel injection and/or limiting the charge so as to limit the load and/or the speed of the internal combustion engine.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:11 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

I would buy it for that price. The intake is a common problem, there is a TSB on it. We had one not too long ago where we replaced a cracked intake. I am actually wishing mine would go so that I could justify an aftermarket one lol. I bought mine for about 5k, needed a little work, was rode hard and put away wet, which didn't matter to me, because I treat it the same. I am one of those guys that like a previous poster said, takes excellent care of my care, but I do dog it every chance I get, so a guy like you would probably have no clue. Regardless, it is a good buy for your son and if anything does go on it, there is always a replacement part a click away.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Fobra
Banned

that car is worth 2-4k. Maybe $4500 is its very nice. The GT is best buy in the market by far, good performance, cheap price, cheap parts, easy to work on... you can't go wrong
Old 08-27-2009, 10:14 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

The way I see it, Mustangs are a dime a dozen. You will see them everywhere you go and you will always find one for sale. If you don't feel good about the car, then don't buy it and wait for another Mustang to go up for sale. I would wait for a Mustang that you feel you are getting a very good deal on, otherwise I would pass on it.

Just my .02
Old 08-27-2009, 10:36 AM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roush2002
i have always looked at it like this. If the car is very clean inside and out and looks like it was pampered then it most likely was. That said, sometimes this is not the case. I am like that so I believe it can be true. I tend to think that people who beat on their cars like rag dolls typically are not **** about keeping the car spotless, meaning the engine, interior, exterior etc. Now I know some people will say thats bull**** but like I said thats just my opinion. I see it in my own circle of friends with sports cars. The ones who wash them every few days, don't take them out on rainy days etc are the ones that you will rarely catch driving the **** out of their cars.
I think that's pretty accurate.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:09 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Damn, I don't know wherea ll you guys are finding deals like this...Theres not squat listed near me. Hell even the 6 cyclinder dogs are going for 8k and up. OP, thats a deal, I would drive it, thoroughly inspect it, and if all appears kosher ****** it up. There is a world like no other of aftermarket support for these cars, so you will have no troubles. Good luck with the deal!
Old 08-27-2009, 12:18 PM
TheMustang
2nd Gear Member

That's a good deal if its in good shape. My buddy just scored an 01 GT for $5000. Bone Stock.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:52 PM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I've been puzzled at some of the prices people are buying these at also. I bought mine 2 years ago for almost 9K. It had 70K miles on it, but it was stock and an older guy owned it and it was really taken care of. I searched high and low and couldn't find a better deal than that. Is it guys in the north that are getting them cheaper? I mean around here we don't have to really even think about snow or ice, but up north, unless the stang isn't going to be your daily driver I guess there might not be as much of a market for these cars given the type of crappy winter weather they deal with for months on end.

Quick Reply: 2 buy or not 2 buy, 99 GT