4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Shop charged me 622$ for labor on my gears. what do i do? and what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 08:07 AM
bigmike0405
1st Gear Member

sorry to hear this. Good luck
Old 08-28-2009, 08:11 AM
soccerman002
2nd Gear Member

No offense, but you really should have had your argument out with the owner/manager BEFORE you cut them a check, paid with credit, whatever. Now, your money is already in the bank and they're done with you. You should have gotten something in writing upfront, b/c when you handed over your car to them without having something on paper, you were at their mercy.

They can make the charges look like anything they want to now.

Nothing you can do really, unless the manager takes pity on you (which he won't).
Old 08-28-2009, 09:06 AM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

You need to research the laws in your state. Here in Florida without a written estimate made in the correct font the shop will be eating the difference should it go to court (yes they have a law here stating the font particulars for the estimate)
Old 08-28-2009, 09:07 AM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

BTW - $600 for a properly installed set of gears with everything else redone sounds like a proper price to me at a professional location, though I do see the issue with the lowballing.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

i'm not lowballing when shops in the area only charge $200 for install. i supplied the gears. they said they needed the clutches so i went out and got the clutches and everything. so all they did was labor. i can still dispute it with my credit card company so although they have the money i can stop payment. the total i had to pay was like 868$ 622$ for labor 75$ for a tow bill(was only about 2 miles to there shop, didn't really cut me a break on that either) and then like 30$ for oil and like ~60 for springs and then tax.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:17 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blk003GT
i'm not lowballing when shops in the area only charge $200 for install. i supplied the gears. they said they needed the clutches so i went out and got the clutches and everything. so all they did was labor. i can still dispute it with my credit card company so although they have the money i can stop payment. the total i had to pay was like 868$ 622$ for labor 75$ for a tow bill(was only about 2 miles to there shop, didn't really cut me a break on that either) and then like 30$ for oil and like ~60 for springs and then tax.
He didn't mean YOU were lowballing, he meant the shop was if they agreed that it would be near 200$.

Now that you have cleared all that up, it makes more sense. You definitely got hosed dude. I called my local ford dealer when I was doing gears, and they were going to charge me about 600$ for a whole rearend rebuild. But they didn't offer upgrading the clutches, and if i purchsed my own gears they wouldnt put them in. So I kept searching. Newho, if you supplied the gears and paid seperately for the parts, 622$ really is WAY TOO HIGH for jsut labor on a rear end. It seems like they are charging you twice for opening up the rear end, like for replacing clutches, even though they already had it open for the gears. Just seems wrong. Ya, I'd call the car company, dispute the charge, or go in a demand a refund/partial money back, something man...
Old 08-28-2009, 01:35 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

That very well could be the case, good catch devon. If the book says 4.0hrs for gears, and 4.0hrs for the clutchs, they charged you 8.0s when it should have only been like 5-6. I would want to see a printed estimate for repairs, one done on a computer, if they are still handwriting estimates, well then you should have never gone there.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:09 PM
ARod's 01GT
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear...but i hate to say it, your probably not going to get much from the shop. Military towns are the worst. The business's there do everything they can to screw the military over because they know they have the money. Its BS but what I did for any and all work was travel to get it done. It sucks but i think its worth it. Good luck with POS owner.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:32 PM
i8acobra
2nd Gear Member

Dispute it with the CC company immediately. Of course, you're kinda screwed without a written estimate though.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:49 AM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

i just checked the alldata site i use for my auto mechanics schooling and the stated time for labor is 5.5 hours. sounds like you took it to a shop that doesnt do very many gear installs. lesson learned.

Quick Reply: Shop charged me 622$ for labor on my gears. what do i do? and what are my options?