4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Alright, I want a hoodscoop

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 04:07 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I guess I should have worded my post better. I have nothing against how the shaker looks I just don't see anything about doing it that should cost over $1000. I have heard other people tell me they have spent over $1000 to do a shaker set up and It makes no sense to me because it adds 0 Function but does look cool. just my .02
Old 08-31-2009, 06:02 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

Originally Posted by IRSmart
my hood was $300, and costed me $250 to paint it and have the fenders blended. and easy there, my 10.5 deep dish bullitts have 315/35/ZR17 sumitomo HTR-Z tires on them for a year and a half now and they look brand new. nothing wrong with them IMO.
That wasn't my point. Sumi's suck. Push them in any sort of way and they will let go. They can't hold corners, braking or acceleration.

Originally Posted by BraMas
I guess I should have worded my post better. I have nothing against how the shaker looks I just don't see anything about doing it that should cost over $1000. I have heard other people tell me they have spent over $1000 to do a shaker set up and It makes no sense to me because it adds 0 Function but does look cool. just my .02
and I was saying what function does a set of ****ty 315's on the rear do? Nothing at all. They are simply for looks. Replica wheels with sumi's cost well over a grand.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:03 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
i completely understand, and my former post, much like this one, was not meant to attack. i simply meant that what is not worth it to you may be worth it by far to someone else. my reasoning for doing it was i hated a non-functional hood scoop. i figured i had three options, and 2 of them had major flaws, because if i'm going to do something, i do it the right way so i only do it once.

cut a hole underneath the hood scoop
Pro: cheapest solution
Con: scoop could come flying off, and water can get in on the hot engine

CDC shaker system
Pro: functional, dont need a new hood
Con: don't like the look of the shaker on a stock hood, it looks out of place. didn't like the plastick insert ring you must put in, and i didn't like how i had to cut my existing hood. if i screw up, i'm screwed

Mach 1 shaker hood
Pro: Looks the best, fully functional (leads air right into the airbox), the only thing that needed to be fabbed was the brackets which i did myself with hardware from home depot
Con: more expensive, need a new hood

so i went with the mach 1 shaker, and i don't regret my decision at all.

but in any event, we're getting off topic. no hard feelings received or meant towards anyone. if you want a scoop, you can bolt on the hood scoop from the later model years to your hood, just gotta find one. try scoping out a junkyard. what color is your car again? i go to yards frequently and i'll keep my eyes open for you
Old 08-31-2009, 06:07 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmac72187
That wasn't my point. Sumi's suck. Push them in any sort of way and they will let go. They can't hold corners, braking or acceleration.
i respectfully disagree. my sumitomos, as i said, have held up very well. they're only in the rear, so i can't say much about their cornering or braking ability, but as far as traction, as long as i keep them out of the snow, they handle pretty well. even when i slam on it from a dead stop, mine really don't spin that much
Old 09-05-2009, 01:48 PM
willydawadd
1st Gear Member

get a shaker!
Old 09-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

800 bucks to put a whole in my hood ??? that shaker system does not seem worth it , I would go with a CF cowl hood !!! or just buy a used one like the guy with the 3.8 did and slap it on , loc tite and call it a day.