4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Buying a stang need help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:39 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by True Blue Racing
^+1 again. sounds like he doesnt love her much if he wants to buy a car with a posible bad engine
this is the stupidest comment ive read in awhile

he doesnt love her because he found a bargain on a car and wanted to know if it can be fixed? for 3k its a steal assuming the rest of the car is in good condition...pick up another PI motor for $500 and throw it in if that one ever takes a ****.... ide put a junkyard timing cover on it, make sure the chains and everything look good and replace the tensioners while i was in there, and drive it like that...if the chains broke causing the cover to crack, then the valves would be destroyed and the car wouldnt run right...so if thats how the cover broke, then its obviously been repaired, minus a new cover....the car is fixable, and for 3k its a steal if the rest of it is nice

not everyone can afford to spend the same amounts on a car...if hes got 4k to spend, ide rather drop 3 plus some work into a nice stang than to buy a beater civic with 400k miles
Old 08-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
this is the stupidest comment ive read in awhile

he doesnt love her because he found a bargain on a car and wanted to know if it can be fixed? for 3k its a steal assuming the rest of the car is in good condition...pick up another PI motor for $500 and throw it in if that one ever takes a ****.... ide put a junkyard timing cover on it, make sure the chains and everything look good and replace the tensioners while i was in there, and drive it like that...if the chains broke causing the cover to crack, then the valves would be destroyed and the car wouldnt run right...so if thats how the cover broke, then its obviously been repaired, minus a new cover....the car is fixable, and for 3k its a steal if the rest of it is nice

not everyone can afford to spend the same amounts on a car...if hes got 4k to spend, ide rather drop 3 plus some work into a nice stang than to buy a beater civic with 400k miles
Yes - if his budget is only 4K then this is not the car for him/her. He is going to need a new motor and pay for labor involved in a swap unless he can do it himself. The bottom line is 3500 is way too much for that car.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:27 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Originally Posted by a_penquin
walk away, the timing chain is broken
Agreed. There are better deals out there than one needing a motor.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:05 PM
True Blue Racing
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
Yes - if his budget is only 4K then this is not the car for him/her. He is going to need a new motor and pay for labor involved in a swap unless he can do it himself. The bottom line is 3500 is way too much for that car.
thanks, that was my point. im a broke college kid, I totally understand the whole budget thing. you can find a s95 with 70k miles on it for 3k and in good shape.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:16 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

I would walk. That timing cover is tough and it didn't break easily. Something serious happened to that motor, I tend to agree with the broken timing chain, which would destroy the motor.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:01 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
even if the motor had a rod hanging out of the side of it, 3k is still a good deal

motors are cheap, $500 plus $500 install....so 4k for a new edge gt in good condition...even less if he can do the swap him self

if the timing chains broke that motor would be ****ed...he says the car runs, so it has either been repaired or that is not how the cover broke....

why does everyone assume it needs a new motor if the car runs?
Old 08-31-2009, 05:18 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT

why does everyone assume it needs a new motor if the car runs?
He said it doesn't run.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:03 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by PaintballFreak
He said it doesn't run.
ah ok...guess i read wrong, my mistake

i still say its a good deal even needing a motor...you can find a PI 4.6 for $500 and then pay someone $500 to swap it in
Old 08-31-2009, 08:10 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

i bought my stang for 3 grand with 32k on the clock, it just needed some love.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:13 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

price gap between early sn95 and new edge is pretty significant

Quick Reply: Buying a stang need help!