4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Custom Tune for emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 11:39 AM
03StangerGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Custom Tune for emissions?

Emissions is due (illinois). I just got a tuner and I have been reading that simply turning off the O2's will not work. Would I need a custom tune to pass emissions?

I should say that my check engine light just came on. With that being said, I know I will fail. I have been reading that tunes can make the car legal. Also, I can not go back to stock or get rid of the long tubes. I can't afford it.

opinions?

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Well i see you are running a catted mid pipe. Unless they are strict on cars having lt's or it being past the allowed decemal level you should be fine..
Do they do a visual inspection? As far as the check engine light goes, whats the code? if you have a hand held tuner you should be able to pull the code from the comp and see what the problem is. Might just be a burnt O2 sensor.

we dont have testing here so i dont have to go through that ****... Thank god.

oh, and i have never heard of tuning your car to be legal. I dont think that is possible
Old 09-04-2009, 12:59 PM
03StangerGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
Well i see you are running a catted mid pipe. Unless they are strict on cars having lt's or it being past the allowed decemal level you should be fine..
Do they do a visual inspection? As far as the check engine light goes, whats the code? if you have a hand held tuner you should be able to pull the code from the comp and see what the problem is. Might just be a burnt O2 sensor.

we dont have testing here so i dont have to go through that ****... Thank god.

oh, and i have never heard of tuning your car to be legal. I dont think that is possible
Well, the cats are fine. The sensors are fine, I changed them out. Shop owners have been telling me the computer just doesn't know I put in LT's and new exhaust. When the computer is programed/tuned the check engine light won't be on. At least thats what they say. Either way, I got the tuner and will try to see if I can get the light off.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:27 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

I had to get a custom tune when I did my long tubes. It has to do with the sensoring being downstream further so the Transport setting needs to be changed. I regular handheld canned tune won't solve that. Also, I would get a custom from like Brenspeed or something. I had bad luck with Bamachips, they told me the rear 02's are tuned off on all there tunes, which will cause you not to pass, and I asked if they could change that and never heard back from them...I had to go to a local tuner to handle it. Passed with flying colors.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:30 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The DTC is because of the LT headers, it's caused by the O2 sensors having been moved further downstream then the OEM location. In closed loop mode the PCM expects to see a change in AFR a certain amount of time after it commands a new ratio. If that time is exceed a DTC is thrown.

There's a table called O2 Transport Delay that defines the expected delay, it needs to be altered to extend the delays.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:34 PM
03StangerGT
2nd Gear Member

thank you for the replies. I think I'm going to go to my local tuner and have them take care of it. They use predator so I think my problems will be solved for emissions. The guy said its $100 for a basic/stadard tune.... better than failing emissions and then who knows what will happen to the car.

thanks again.