4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Bassani Catted X-Pipe question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:36 PM
99gtstang08
1st Gear Member

Default Bassani Catted X-Pipe question

So I found a Bassani catted x-pipe on craigslist for pretty cheap. My question now is, will it make my car sound different than it does now? Right now I am running an off-road h-pipe and Cat-back system, both from MAC. I know that it will prolly be a little quieter but will it make it sound better or worse? Right now it gets pretty choppy(i dont know if that is the best way to describe it??) at WOT. Its almost like you can hear each cylinder firing. Will the catted x smooth out the tone of the car? I know that is a lot of different questions but you guys get the idea.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:54 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

The catted x will be alot smoother and quieter. Usually (not always) x pipes sound better with straight through style mufflers, and h pipes sound better with chambered mufflers, like MAC.

I would think an o/r h with a MAC Catback would sound awesome. Why are you changing it?
Old 09-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Roush2002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
The catted x will be alot smoother and quieter. Usually (not always) x pipes sound better with straight through style mufflers, and h pipes sound better with chambered mufflers, like MAC.

I would think an o/r h with a MAC Catback would sound awesome. Why are you changing it?
+1^^^ i would leave the h pipe. if you want to clean up the sound and quiet it down a bit go with a catted h. Its only a matter of time before I got to a catted h. H pipes and chambered exhaust go together like ham and burger, peanut butter and jelly, two woman etc etc...
Old 09-09-2009, 03:18 PM
99gtstang08
1st Gear Member

I wanted to change it because: (A) I found it for only $150, they go for almost $600 new. (B) I like the more smooth sound, not as loud. (C) I had a really hard time trying to renew my plates cause I cant pass inspection with out the cats. I hear from every body that my car sounds awesome but do you think it would take away from the sound that much?
Old 09-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Roush2002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99gtstang08
I wanted to change it because: (A) I found it for only $150, they go for almost $600 new. (B) I like the more smooth sound, not as loud. (C) I had a really hard time trying to renew my plates cause I cant pass inspection with out the cats. I hear from every body that my car sounds awesome but do you think it would take away from the sound that much?
well here was my experience. I had a o/r x pipe with magnaflow exhaust. It was loud and sounded like the worst beat up truck you could ever hear running. Now I have a catted x with flowmasters and its just a wee bit quieter than it was but now it sounds like a mustang should sound. It is not raspy at any rpm and it has a deep rumble.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:27 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Yes i do! Like Roush2002 said, try a catted h. The h just compliments a chambered muffler better IMO.

You could use the catted x for inspections, and then throw the o/r h back on!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:33 PM
99gtstang08
1st Gear Member

Yeah, thats the kind of sound I am after. Right now its raspy and sounds like a truck. Do you think that it will be a lot quieter or more like yours, just smoothed out?
Old 09-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Roush2002
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, thats the kind of sound I am after. Right now its raspy and sounds like a truck. Do you think that it will be a lot quieter or more like yours, just smoothed out?
it will be smoothed out ALLOT. It will be a little quieter but will loose the raspy, girgly sound.

if you are tired of the raspy sound put a catted h on it. you will be happy.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:53 PM
99gtstang08
1st Gear Member

I dont really want to spend that much money to buy a new catted H-pipe. Thats why I was going to jump on this chance. The price is right and I am still not convinced its going to sound bad. I want it to be smoother and I think that even the catted x-pipe will help me get that.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:08 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I dont really want to spend that much money to buy a new catted H-pipe. Thats why I was going to jump on this chance. The price is right and I am still not convinced its going to sound bad. I want it to be smoother and I think that even the catted x-pipe will help me get that.
For that price i'd try it too! I don't think it will sound bad at all, i just think the h would be better personally. Anytime you go catted (no matter what combo you use for the most part) you eliminate almost all the raspy/poppy noise you get with o/r pipes.

Quick Reply: Bassani Catted X-Pipe question