4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Optima in a New Edge

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 10:23 AM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Default Optima in a New Edge

Any suggestions on which group to go with? I have been looking around and it seems that I should go with either D75/25 or D35. Anyone put an Optima in their New Edge and have a suggestion?

Much appreciated.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:50 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

my suggestion is save your money

i hate mine with a passion, its garbage....really expensive garbage

just get the top level of whatever brand you get at autozone/advanced/sears/whatever....optima are junk
Old 09-14-2009, 11:18 AM
03BottleFedGT
3rd Gear Member

^^++1, go to your local advance and get a 58 series in the titanium brand. has a 3 year free replacment and a 84 month pro rate
Old 09-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

+2

I've heard from some shops that they've been having problems with Optima batteries.

Also, a car I'm building was featured in the Optima booth at a Good Guys show in Columbus Ohio and when I talked to the director of sales even he admitted that they've been having problems but his answer was that that the issue was overstock. Basically, he said that when they manufacture the batteries they sit on a shelf for a while before getting to the store and if they sit too long you'll have problems.

John
Old 09-14-2009, 03:51 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

WOW! really? Well, glad I didn't go buy it yet. I wonder if the shelf life issue is a trend....hmmm....Thanks guys for the heads up.

Maybe I should ask how long they have had them? or do you think it is a stocking issue at the manuf. plnt?
Old 09-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by joeybutts
WOW! really? Well, glad I didn't go buy it yet. I wonder if the shelf life issue is a trend....hmmm....Thanks guys for the heads up.

Maybe I should ask how long they have had them? or do you think it is a stocking issue at the manuf. plnt?
From what I know, they manufacture their batteries in different countries. What I was told was that when they began they were manufacturing them in the U.S. but shifted most of their production to Mexico. Not sure how they are handling their stock their but the word from the DoS was it was a shelf life issue.

I will say that even if they die on you they have a lifetime warranty so if it goes bad you can walk into the store you bought it from with your reciept and they give you a new one. Usually the store branded ones that you buy from your big box parts store has 3 year max limited warranty on it. Your choice!

BTW I have a red top 35(?) series in my '03 GT. First one died after 9 months. Exchanged it for a new one, no questions asked, and it's been running strong ever since.

John
Old 09-14-2009, 05:31 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

See, and I am an advocate of LIFETIME warranties. if I find something that is comparable with a lifetime warranty, I'm 99% of the time going to go for it instead.

A 35 series you say? EXCELLENT. Thanks for that info.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:29 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

where the hell did you see liftetime warranty? mine came with a ONE YEAR warranty, which i had to use TWICE and my battery is still a pile of ****.... but the warranty is up so i cant exchange it again
Old 09-14-2009, 06:31 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

just because it costs enough to buy generic batteries for a lifetime, doesnt mean it has a lifetime warranty!

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/warranty.html

you can get a generic battery for half the price with a 5yr warranty instead of 2-3yr
Old 09-15-2009, 07:33 AM
03BottleFedGT
3rd Gear Member

all batteries have a sticker on the side of them that tell you when they were made. its a little round sticker with a letter and a number on it. letter is the month january being A and so on and the number being the year.

Quick Reply: Optima in a New Edge