4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

MMR 900 Longblock

Old 09-16-2009, 01:56 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Well devo has stated this in numerous threads and it makes sense that you are throwing the heaviest part of the rotating assembly farther away from the centerline with a stroker kit. Plus you are adding mass to the rotating assembly because hopefully the rods have more metal in them than stock stroke so the have the same strength. And generally speaking, i think its a lot safer to run a stock stroke rod just because under that much stress, the longer rod would be more prone to bending. Kinda like if you take a long twig versus a short twig and try to break it. The small twig will take a lot more stress than a long one. So I think that its a lot smarter to run stock stroke.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:01 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by teej281
Well devo has stated this in numerous threads and it makes sense that you are throwing the heaviest part of the rotating assembly farther away from the centerline with a stroker kit. Plus you are adding mass to the rotating assembly because hopefully the rods have more metal in them than stock stroke so the have the same strength. And generally speaking, i think its a lot safer to run a stock stroke rod just because under that much stress, the longer rod would be more prone to bending. Kinda like if you take a long twig versus a short twig and try to break it. The small twig will take a lot more stress than a long one. So I think that its a lot smarter to run stock stroke.
What I'm getting at is DO YOU have personal experience with a mod stroker???
Old 09-16-2009, 02:10 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I do not directly. But when my shop guy builds motors for stangs for a living does and advises against it, i tend to trust him on what he is talking about. Very knowledgeable fellow. Builds 700rwhp street 2v's on a daily basis. When i talk to him about building a shortblock for my car(eventually), i bring up the stroker and he says dont waste your money. So i tend to believe him. But if you choose to not believe me, thats cool. I dont care cus nobody ever believes anyone on here without some long drawn out schematics or stress tests to prove that it is/isnt more stressful. Which i dont think anyone on here is going to do that anyways so this is pretty much beating a dead horse here. So I believe in the knowledge of my shop guy. You can choose to believe what you want.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:19 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Lizzyfan, is the stoker kit worthless? Or was it worth the extra $?
Old 09-16-2009, 02:22 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Lizzyfan, is the stoker kit worthless? Or was it worth the extra $?
I have no clue, no experience with a stroked mod motor
Old 09-16-2009, 02:24 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

who's devo...lol
Old 09-16-2009, 02:33 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by devongarver
who's devo...lol
Cheesy 70's/80's techno band
Old 09-16-2009, 02:38 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Oh ya, with the funny hats lol
Old 09-16-2009, 02:47 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
who's devo...lol
http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/ima...early/devo.jpg
Old 09-16-2009, 02:49 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

lol you know I was jsut kidding about not knowing who devo was right? My name is devon, you know how many times I got called devo throughout school???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MMR 900 Longblock