4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New shock set-up, Jazzer might get angry.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:34 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by teej281
WTF?! Rolling your fender with a baseball bat?..."
Yup

The idea is to put the bat between the tire and fender and have someone roll the car forward very slowly and the bat will push against the tire and gently roll the fender as it moves along. Of course, one has to be very carefull that the section of the bat is not too fat and push the fender outward. I have never done this, but many others have.

As for new wheels and being even wider than your current... not necessarily

One has to consider the back-space of the wheels in question. A proper BS for an SN95/New Edge Stang is going to be 6.8" (give/take a bit) so use this measurement to compare to existing wheels to confirm proper fitment. I run a 10.5" wheel (since widened to 11") and run a 1/2" spacer and have no rubbing. I have MAJOR fender rollin' goin' on in front/back though. I actually used tin-snips to cut much of the fender lip out of the way up front. My fronts are nearly as rolled as an S197 is from the factory.

Jazzer

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 09-19-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:27 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Yup

The idea is to put the bat between the tire and fender and have someone roll the car forward very slowly and the bat will push against the tire and gently roll the fender as it moves along. Of course, one has to be very carefull that the section of the bat is not too fat and push the fender outward. I have never done this, but many others have.

One has to consider the back-space of the wheels in question. A proper BS for an SN95/New Edge Stang is going to be 6.8" (give/take a bit) so use this measurement to compare to existing wheels to confirm proper fitment. I run a 10.5" wheel (since widened to 11") and run a 1/2" spacer and have no rubbing. I have MAJOR fender rollin' goin' on in front/back though. I actually used tin-snips to cut much of the fender lip out of the way up front. My fronts are nearly as rolled as an S197 is from the factory.

Jazzer
I might try baseball bat fender rolling thing or if my local autoparts store has one for rent I'd try that. The reason I was worried about larger tires is because the wheels with the spacer aren't even flush with the fender they sit farther in, not out, they just meet the lip on the inside of the fender. I have been looking on the AM website and the 10in wide wheels seem to be pretty close where mine sit now, just a tad bit further. It's pretty much impossible to tell by pics on the net tho. One more thing..... I took my car in for an alignment today and they said that it couldn't be put into spec. I only have 1.5in drop and CC plates but they still couldn't do it. They say I have a little more negative camber then normal. Does anyone know what else I can do to fix it? I have heard of something called camber bolts, will they help?
Old 09-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ doesn't make sense on either issue, I'm afraid

Take your rear wheel off and measure the back-space, so go ***HERE*** for instructions. Then, head over to AM and check the back-space measurements listed for each wheel and see how they compare.

As for CC plates NOT making up for 1.5" drop, something is wrong here. You can nearly make the adjustment with stock plates. What brand did you get and confirm they were installed correctly. Back when I had CC plates, they were originally installed 90° crooked! When I noticed, I brought it back and asked for a warranty repair for something un-related, but wanted to see if it would get noticed. Got my car back and noticed they were now correct. I said to the owner.... "The CC plates were installed incorrectly, huh?" "Yup... sorry 'bout that". Had a rookie on the job that day and was all fixed up.

Anyway, you can likely install camber bolts, but I think your plates are installed incorrectly or the shoppe is smokin' sumthin'.

Jazzer
Old 09-19-2009, 07:18 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

^ doesn't make sense on either issue, I'm afraid

Take your rear wheel off and measure the back-space, so go ***HERE*** for instructions. Then, head over to AM and check the back-space measurements listed for each wheel and see how they compare.

As for CC plates NOT making up for 1.5" drop, something is wrong here. You can nearly make the adjustment with stock plates. What brand did you get and confirm they were installed correctly. Back when I had CC plates, they were originally installed 90° crooked! When I noticed, I brought it back and asked for a warranty repair for something un-related, but wanted to see if it would get noticed. Got my car back and noticed they were now correct. I said to the owner.... "The CC plates were installed incorrectly, huh?" "Yup... sorry 'bout that". Had a rookie on the job that day and was all fixed up.

Anyway, you can likely install camber bolts, but I think your plates are installed incorrectly or the shoppe is smokin' sumthin'.

Jazzer
I have the UPR Shark 3 bolt CC plates, I am sure they are on the correct way I double checked before I even installed them. Besides because of the weird shape there is only one way they can really go on.

These are the ones I have.
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...plates-94.html
Old 09-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I've rolled Dozens of fenders over the years and not once have I EVER used a bat. That's ridiculous. I know lots of old people that were building hotrods in the 50's and they've all told me no one ever actually used a bat.

If Someone doesn't have the actual tool and want to do it themself, Here's how.

(This will not ruin your paint unless it's already in bad shape.)

Cover the outer side of the wheel well with blue painters tape.

Use a black marker to mark off the outer most points that you think that wont hit. (There's No reason to go any further than that.)

You'll need a 4x4 wooden block or suitable piece of wood. To act as a counter weight and to absorb the blows.

On the inner side lip you'll be using a dead blow/rubber mallet to hit the lip (IN SMALL INCREMENTS) Start in the center and work your way down in either direction. Only fold in as far as you have to. Nothins worse then seeing a wheel well lip look like a hare lip.

Yup

Jazzer

Last edited by Sxynerd; 09-19-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:12 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
I've rolled Dozens of fenders over the years and not once have I EVER used a bat. That's ridiculous. I know lots of old people that were building hotrods in the 50's and they've all told me no one ever actually used a bat.

If Someone doesn't have the actual tool and want to do it themself, Here's how.

(This will not ruin your paint unless it's already in bad shape.)

Cover the outer side of the wheel well with blue painters tape.

Use a black marker to mark off the outer most points that you think that wont hit. (There's No reason to go any further than that.)

You'll need a 4x4 wooden block or suitable piece of wood. To act as a counter weight and to absorb the blows.

On the inner side lip you'll be using a dead blow/rubber mallet to hit the lip (IN SMALL INCREMENTS) Start in the center and work your way down in either direction. Only fold in as far as you have to. Nothins worse then seeing a wheel well lip look like a hare lip.
Alright thanks! I will give it a try.