4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

BULDING A MONSTER!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 04:01 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by devongarver
According to MMR it is, rather easy actually. Full Long Block for about 7k, blower friendly compression, TF heads, Comp Cams, they quoted me at 375-400 rwhp. This is with a setup that I can SAFELY add a KB to after its in. Imagine if they upp the compression a bit more and changed the cams to prepare it for just N/A. We are talkin 400-425rwhp...thats sexy.
i would like to see a dyno proving this...not saying theyre lying, but i take anything a company says with a grain of salt, if they have something to gain from the sale... hasnt there been TF headed cars only putting out 350ish?
Old 09-21-2009, 05:29 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

please guys lets not get started on the n/a 2v thing again. we've seen 355 with unmatched heads and cams. i think 375 is reasonable or a nicely built n/a 2v. i dont see why a well built 11.1 or 12.1 compression and a bottom end capable of reving to 7k+ couldnt hit 400rwhp.

im sick, i'll type more later
Old 09-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by boduke0220
please guys lets not get started on the n/a 2v thing again. we've seen 355 with unmatched heads and cams. i think 375 is reasonable or a nicely built n/a 2v. i dont see why a well built 11.1 or 12.1 compression and a bottom end capable of reving to 7k+ couldnt hit 400rwhp.

im sick, i'll type more later
Problem is....who wants to shell out 7-8k just to get stomped by a totally stock GT that threw a 5k KB kit on and called it a day? WITH plenty of room to bump up PSI and build on in the future.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
put it back together and supercharge it

first step is send the block to the hot tank
once its back paint it to prevent rust
buy all new bearings and put them in *cam bearing requires a special tool...machine shop can install the bearings for you*
get forged rods and pistions and have your rotating assembly balanced
set ring gap accordingly based on your FI plans, if you have any
i would buy new timing components, sans chains *they should work fine*
trickflow heads and cms stage 4 cams
p51 intake manifold, or a kenne bell

theres so many options....how much do you have to spend? you could drop $1500 in that motor and have it running or you could drop 15 grand into it and have it running...its all up to you...but for 400hp, you can leave the stock rotating assembly in it to save a lot of money, and then supercharge or spray it
Dude stage 4 cams is it a street car or a race car because CMS 2.5 blowers is enough for the street and more aggressive cam you lose on the bottom end.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:34 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
Dude stage 4 cams is it a street car or a race car because CMS 2.5 blowers is enough for the street and more aggressive cam you lose on the bottom end.
the stage 4 cams are what CMS developed to match the trickflow heads

One of our new additions to the CMS camshaft lineup! CMS Stage 4 N/A cams are designed for the new Trick Flow 2V heads. These cams offer aggressive N/A race only performance. Aggressive idle. 3500-7500+ rpm. Likes 4.10 gear or better and 3800+ stall in auto's. PTV clearance must be checked and pistons MUST have valve reliefs. MUST BE TUNED AFTER INSTALL.

.590"/.600" lift, 244/249 .050 duration, 109 LSA

they make power at 3500...sure you will lose some off the bottom, but if youre revving to 7500 on a built motor, once you shift youre right back into your powerband around 3-4k

Last edited by 99BlackPonyGT; 09-21-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:52 PM
stangbnmalo
2nd Gear Member

You should buy the Ford maintenance manual. I did exactly the same thing you're doing now, and it took me about a year; that was just working whenever I had a chance to come home from college. Read a lot, ask as many questions as you could. I'll rather ask silly questions that have my engine blow on me. The ford manual will help you with the basics, but for installation look up step by step on google and youtube. Don't rush, and the most important thing enjoy the process. I spend about $2500 on engine parts along.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:15 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
Problem is....who wants to shell out 7-8k just to get stomped by a totally stock GT that threw a 5k KB kit on and called it a day? WITH plenty of room to bump up PSI and build on in the future.

me. my dream is 11's n/a in a 2v. and still be DD'able. call me crazy but thats my goal for this car.( next car with be a sc'ed mach 1 ) and when i bust someones anus who just threw a KB on and called it a day..well, i wont brag. haha but yea i have a ways to go before i can say anything.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:01 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
i would like to see a dyno proving this...not saying theyre lying, but i take anything a company says with a grain of salt, if they have something to gain from the sale... hasnt there been TF headed cars only putting out 350ish?
Yes, I would like to see a dyno sheet proving it as well. But, as I was saying, it has a slightly bumped compression, and spins well over 7k, and he was very confident in saying so. And yes, there was one that put 355, but as stated, it had mismatched cams. There is ALOT to be said for proper cam profiling, combined with high rpm capabilities, and that was on stock block too. So, Yes I am confident 400 rwhp is attainable in N/A streetable trim.

Originally Posted by Hangwire

Well, considering that "totally stock" GT with a KB would be making any more power than the N/A motor...stomped is not the word I would use. Plus, this was WITH blower friendly compression AND cams, specifically for the addition of a KB after the motor is installed.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Roush2002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by boduke0220
me. my dream is 11's n/a in a 2v. and still be DD'able. call me crazy but thats my goal for this car.( next car with be a sc'ed mach 1 ) and when i bust someones anus who just threw a KB on and called it a day..well, i wont brag. haha but yea i have a ways to go before i can say anything.
keep dreaming buddy!!!!! lol
Old 09-22-2009, 09:09 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

400rwhp in a well setup car would embarrass alot of cars here that make more power. It would be fun, but why wouldn't you want to spend that same 7-10K and make 600 with FI?

I can assure you FI will make the car alot more streetable.

Quick Reply: BULDING A MONSTER!