4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Kenne Bell VS Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 12:31 PM
89lxhatch
1st Gear Member

And i know you dont have a fox body, but a little something with a turbo vs a kb cobra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjKZgQczJ8Q
Old 09-25-2009, 12:33 PM
89lxhatch
1st Gear Member

kinda show the instant power of a kb, but what happens when a turbo spools up, more power at less boost
Old 09-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Fobra
Banned

Cars that dont boost till 4500 are not setup right or they are trying to hit big numbers w/ little displacement. But thats why God made transbrakes.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
2 different animals, neither is "better".

turbo will likely beat the KB in a 1/4 mile. the KB will be much more fun for driving around town though, plus you get that bad *** wirring noise. the KB will actually make you lose some gas mileage around town (not only will you be boosting all the time, but having the SC on the accessory belt). turbo won't interfere with your daily driving at all, and will have mad power in the top end when you get on it. but won't be as fun around town.

its all in what you want out of it. for fun on the streets i'd say KB. for more potential turbo.

theres a couple other things you will need for the turbo plus it will be much harder to install than the KB kit. KB comes with everything you need.
This is completely false. KB kits have a blow-off valve which enables you to choose when you want to be in boost and out of boost. You can drive around all day as if you were stock and never seen 1 pound of boost and get your normal gas mileage.

OP All that glitters isnt gold in life. The total cost to get all the parts and labor you need to setup that turbo is far more than 5k, otherwise everybody and their brother would have turbos on their stangs. Unless you are QUITE familiar with your car and automobile mechanics you won't be able to install a k member and turbo. And in order to build a turbo that sees full boost as soon as a twin screw you are looking at far more money after that. The benefit in the end is that you will make more power pound for pound and have more room to build in the future.

In terms of streetability the KB is worlds better. But if you're going for 1/4th times Id go with the turbo hands down. The KB will enable you to choose when you want to romp on it and when you want to just cruise as if you are stock. It is also much easier to maintain and install. And is much more "fun" on the street all around. However take it to the track and you will see the turbo shine without a doubt. All up to what you want OP, just don't think its as simple as a $2,000 price tag
Old 09-25-2009, 05:29 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

On3performance: http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1104697
Old 09-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Go with KB, blower cams, and 3.55 gears would be a nasty combination. If I could do it all over that would be my choice for a street machine. The fact low power with KB paired with correct cams would be pure sex...
Old 09-26-2009, 01:57 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Ill take a Turbo over any other power adder any day. Given it is sized correctly for the motor, it will spool fast and lb for lb produce more power than any other supercharger type.

You cant beat the turbo in terms of efficiency, you basically get power for nothing.. no parasitic loss on the motor like with a blower.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:30 AM
jhdksbva

turbo vs KB turbo wins in my book. better gas mileage, easier on your internals, and more hp at the same boost. only thing is you wont get the badass whine or feel like you have as much torque since its more gradual then a KB.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:13 AM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

I've looked at the on3 kit before, and I'm extremely skeptical. They're offering a kit that's supposedly all stainless steel for a price you just a few hundred over what you would pay for a good SS long tube and x pipe setup (kooks, arh, ssw). All stainless steel, a turbo, and the wastegate and bov for under 2 grand? Something doesn't add up to me.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I vote turbo, pretty much free hp. I would like to go twin turbo on my car.

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell VS Turbo