4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

I GOT SO LUCKY ! ! !

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Sir_Revv

Default I GOT SO LUCKY ! ! !

Hey Guys, So this guy next door to me i have known him through highschool and all nothing crazy... well i drive by his place every morning and there is a engine sitting in the back of his trunk for like the past month. So his daughter one of my friends gives me a text and says hey, my dad went into surgery can't do anything with that engine in the back of his truck you want it ? I'm like well what kinda motor is it. He picks up the phone and is like its a 4.6 v8 Police interceptor motor, has the interceptor package. ( which i think is just something with the ECU ) it has 28K ON IT! he said just take it free of charge. it runs and everything, the cop car they took it from was it by a drunk driver. from behind and they took the Engine ! ! I can't believe it. So that's why I'm asking you guys is it too good to be true??

Will this Engine Match up to my car ? I have a 04 GT.
I was gonna keep it in the basement and beef up the hell out of this Engine, then drop it in when i feel like it. My Engine now only has like 72K on it. So I think I'm in a good place
Old 09-01-2009, 09:01 AM
GrayGT02

Man. Sounds like a good deal to me. I mean it was FREE! Even if it doesn't work out it didnt cost you anything.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Nice is the motor stolen? Get that thing and my understanding is police cars it is in the tune. What are your future plans with car? You mentioned beafing up motor if you are looking to forge a motor it would be cheaper to just buy a built block than to buy the forged assembly, machine motor, install and balance it. As I just went through this.

I would sell the motor for 12-1400 bucks and then put that money towards a built block. If your plan is to stay na then keep it and buy some heads, cams, and headers but it won't be enough power for you and you will want more.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:52 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The 4.6L 2V police interceptor engine is a lower compression (8.7:1, different pistons I believe) version of the engine used in the new-edge GTs. It was rated at 235 HP/275 lbft.

AFAIK there are no other changes to the engine, the interceptor package included a heavy-duty 4-speed automatic tranny, heavy-duty alternator and cooling system, beefed up suspension, and some chassis braces.

In the 4100 lb Crown Vic Interceptor chassis it was a real dog, doing 0-60 in just under 9 seconds...
Old 09-01-2009, 09:56 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

you didn't really get as lucky as you thought, as you really can't use that motor. well, you could, but it wouldn't be smart. your engine came with 260/302 stock, and that one has 250/297. it would be a small step backwards, and probably wouldn't help much. only thing different over a standard crown vic is 15 hp and torque, and the speed limitor was raised to either 120 or 135, depending on the axle ratio of the car it was taken out of (120 for the 3.55 cars, and 135 for the 3.27 cars).

but it's worth something to someone else, so throw that puppy up on ebay and see what happens!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:57 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

+1, it is a common misconception that police vehicles have high performance engine modifications.

Typically they have the same HP and torque ratings, or lowered so as to improve long-term reliability.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Sell it to someone with w 96-98GT for 1k...Use that money to get a built Shortblock from someone..
Old 09-01-2009, 02:18 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

i say buy it. our blocks are good to what? 800 hp? not the pistons just the block itself..i'd just buuld it up
Old 09-01-2009, 02:47 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Get engine
Sell engine
????
Profit

I would just use the funds to get me a nice forged shortblock and build it up.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Sir_Revv

See i thought about it, I'm going to hold on to the motor considering it is a FREE Engine, I didn't know it was a less horsepower engine than the one i have now. But I would feel like a jerk if i took this engine from my friends dad. Then turned around sold it. I mean he could have sold it and made a profit off it as well but instead hes choosing to give it to me. So i bought the engine stand and plan on putting it in the basement and making it a project and a learning experience because i always wanna learn more about it. Im starting off with tearing it apart cleaning everything out, then proceeding with a Cam, Aluminum Heads, Shorty Headers (because i have an exhaust from the stock headers out right now).

I have 4.10's in my car now so I don't really mind about top speed and the reprogramming they probably did to the interceptor to give it more top end.
I mean overall I am going to have an engine with only 28k on it and when I'm done it will be more powerful then what I have now.

Any suggestions on anything else i should do while the motor is out?

Quick Reply: I GOT SO LUCKY ! ! !