4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

DIY- tail light tint (sheet style)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:13 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Default DIY- tail light tint (sheet style)

Well I got my tint in and finally got some time to do the job, figure I'd give everyone a write up as well. The vehicle- 98 GT, just about impossible to find stock style tinted tail lights, so I made my own. You can buy a normal sheet, or pre cut like I did. Here is a link for the 94-98 ebay tint I used. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38661

Parts needed:
tint
soapy water
tail lights
water
spray bottle(s)

Tools:
11mm deep socket & ratchet or wrench
phillips (cross tip) screwdriver
heat gun
bondo scraper
mirco fiber towel
razor blade

Step one: remove tail lights.
Remove two plastic plugs holding in the trunk panels by the tail lights (one is removed with a screwdriver)

Remove four nuts holding the taillights in, then pull away from body and disconnect the light sockets from the light housing.

Tearing down the light....

Remove three screws from the bottom of the light divider,

then release three clips from the top

NOTE: weatherstrip seal may stick, carefully separate trim from housing with razor blade.

Wash taillight thoroughly with a sponge and dish soap, let dry or wipe with micro fiber towel.

(I got lazy here and too focused on working the sheet to take pics, sorry)
WARNING!: This is where it counts, take your time and take it slow, if it looks jacked up it will be jacked up!
Spray section to be worked with soapy water from spray bottle, then apply the sheet section to the light. Line up tint with even edges all around then take your scraper (wrapped in microfiber) and squeeze the soapy water out from under the tint. Now you should have it sticking in the center. Apply light heat (my gun was on the low setting about 6-8" from the light) and work out the bubbles and wrinkles (remove the heat when working the tint). Use your fingers to work the edges and take your time to smooth it out. Apply heat when needed. Finish each section in this manner.

Reassemble lights and reinstall. Your finished with some nice tinted tails! (hopefully) Step back and look at your work and enjoy the pride you did it yourself and didnt resort to euro's or azzeta's

Making the microfiber squeegee

Lay bondo squeegee in microfiber towel and wrap, that easy

Old 09-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by a_penquin
Well I got my tint in and finally got some time to do the job, figure I'd give everyone a write up as well. The vehicle- 98 GT, just about impossible to find stock style tinted tail lights, so I made my own. You can buy a normal sheet, or pre cut like I did. Here is a link for the 94-98 ebay tint I used.
Because they never made a factory tinted tail light.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:28 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Yea, I know the factory never made one, but over the years you figure they should have an aftermarket one by now. Guess demand is to low, so I made due.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

What did you do about the curvature of the lens? If you went over the edge, it's going to start to peel?. Did you cut and trim the edges to not overlap?
Old 09-28-2009, 08:04 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

It was pre cut to the separate lenses, little heat, time, patience, stretching and finger work got it over the edges. No pieces overlapped each other. It also had an adhesive backing so as long as you get all the water/soap out from under it, it sticks and wont peel if everything is down flat.

Last edited by a_penquin; 09-28-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:11 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

looks good minus the bezels. those things need a respray bad.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:14 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

So dose the hole car lol, I still have the front right fender coming in black primer, and a cowl hood in white jell coat. A repaint is in its near future.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

It was pre cut to the separate lenses, little heat, time, patience, stretching and finger work got it over the edges. No pieces overlapped each other. It also had an adhesive backing so as long as you get all the water/soap out from under it, it sticks and wont peel if everything is down flat.
No mater how hard I try I haven't ever been able to do tint right.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:35 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

So dose the hole car lol, I still have the front right fender coming in black primer, and a cowl hood in white jell coat. A repaint is in its near future.
i feel ya man.

the bezels on my 94 looked the same. hell, the whole car was riddled with random rock chips. one thing i do miss about crap paint is my lack of worry with it. the 03 has PERFECT paint and i poop myself everytime i hear rocks or other debris hitting my car.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

so is that vinyl or regular window tint?

Quick Reply: DIY- tail light tint (sheet style)