4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

KB non intercooled + Cams.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:24 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

What is the price difference between the IC kit and the non IC kit? I'd skip the cams and take the saved money and buy the IC. You don't want all of that extra under hood heat.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:29 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
What is the price difference between the IC kit and the non IC kit? I'd skip the cams and take the saved money and buy the IC. You don't want all of that extra under hood heat.
I believe the price difference is around $1000, and i agree with what you're saying.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:46 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr Graystang
Lol I relayed no I/C , Honestly that is all the power I would want and need for a while , If I have the need for more hp I can barrow my gramps Chevelle which slams my nuts at WOT. Im not into drag racing/roll racing/straight line racing anymore so mid 300 hp range would be plenty for my to hit the track at waterford hills. mrtstang ' do you think that it would be safe to run that blower with blower cams and a good tune ?
I'm sure it would fine, but i have to agree with everyone here. Personally i'd never run a roots or twin screw blower without a intercooler. While you may pull decent numbers on a dyno, you won't get near those numbers on a hot summer day. Obviously, that will take some of the fun out of it.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:57 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
I'm sure it would fine, but i have to agree with everyone here. Personally i'd never run a roots or twin screw blower without a intercooler. While you may pull decent numbers on a dyno, you won't get near those numbers on a hot summer day. Obviously, that will take some of the fun out of it.
That's a really good point, I can see that car have a huge problem with heat soak. And you can make just as much power with a IC setup with a little more boost as you can with the Non IC setup with cams. Plus your car will still drive like a stock car.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:34 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Well this is why i suggested a meth kit so when he is in the gas his intake temps go way down that way his car isnt such a slug when in boost. But yea, youre probably gonna have some driveability issues with out an intercooler due to the extra heat.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Look at this!!!

http://www.verbalpower.com/kb/
Old 10-01-2009, 12:35 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
Yup, should definitely buy that... /thread
Old 10-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Thats an incredible deal, take it from me I have been scouring for used KBs to buy and i'm in the middle of paying one off. Only thing about it is that its local pick-up only. Still an incredibly cheap price. However I do not believe it ONLY has 1000 or less miles. But considering how much money you save on the price it may be worth it to drive a long way to pick it up.

One thing I noticed graystang.....you said you were worried about throwing down 400RWHP+ because of reliability. But unfortunately running without an I/C at 350 RWHP is more risky than 400RWHP with an I/C, think about that!
Old 10-01-2009, 02:42 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

^^^WERD!!!
Old 10-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

I did not think about heat soak that much but good points , that is a great deal I just dont have that much cash right now or I would score that. I mean I guess I could get the I/C set up and run the 6 lbs pulley to be safe. I will be researching my set up thoroughly before I buy it. I do like the ideal of the met kit but the intercooler seems more simple , Another questions for the KB owners " do you have any problems with the belts shredding ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KB non intercooled + Cams.