4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

KB non intercooled + Cams.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 03:30 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I would buy the I/C version and run 8lbs of boost. You'll probably be around 380rwhp and it will be plenty save. I understand your caution, but at some point you have to jump a little, otherwise you might as well not do this at all.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr Graystang
Another questions for the KB owners " do you have any problems with the belts shredding ??
I have never had a issue with it. Most the time when someone has a issue like that its due to high boost or the lack of a 8 rib pulley system/stronger tensioner.

6-9 PSI and you wont have a problem with 6 rib system
Old 10-01-2009, 05:13 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

I didn't read the entire thread but if you have the money to buy $650 cams and $500 for install you already paid for the intercooled kit. Plus the intercooled kit will keep the temperatures down from the reduculous heat soak that the charger has with better performance and then keeping it still Within the safe zone.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Cams would be bought later and I would not have to pay for install. I dont need all the mods at once I will be slowly building my car , I would prolly buy the cams a year later.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

By the way, unfortunately running meth or nitrous on a twin screw is EXTREMELY difficult, in fact KB says its totally impossible. However i've heard of a......FEW people who have taken the time to custom rig a n20/meth kit to their twin screw. I am unaware of what it requires. But i'm almost positive its not really that practical at all.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

No plans on Nitrous man , Just blower and maybee some cams lol , Meth looks good for a cooling option but Im not sure on that route either. Ive been looking at blowers , set up's and prices all day.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Double post FTL.

Last edited by Mr Graystang; 10-01-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Roush2002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
I have never had a issue with it. Most the time when someone has a issue like that its due to high boost or the lack of a 8 rib pulley system/stronger tensioner.

6-9 PSI and you wont have a problem with 6 rib system
you will also tear up belts if your pulleys are not aligned. Trust me that wont be the only problem you will have. It will squeak, skwert, squeel, and might jump off the track and you def dont want that. Been there and done that.

oh and meth inj is a no-no on a kb. Call Tim at MPH and ask him what one of his customers did to their blower by using meth. Lets just say the KB found the recycle bin way too early. He told me that is the worst thing you could do to it. Im not sure why but he obviously knows.

Last edited by Roush2002; 10-02-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:37 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Is there any particular reason you really want to run cams? To me, and I could be horribly wrong, but it seems more like you're just looking for the 'cool cam sound' instead of thinking of the big picture here.

With your goals in mind, cams just don't really fit into the picture IMO. I would buy the I/C supercharger kit and just enjoy the safe, moderate setup.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roush2002
you will also tear up belts if your pulleys are not aligned. Trust me that wont be the only problem you will have. It will squeak, skwert, squeel, and might jump off the track and you def dont want that. Been there and done that.

oh and meth inj is a no-no on a kb. Call Tim at MPH and ask him what one of his customers did to their blower by using meth. Lets just say the KB found the recycle bin way too early. He told me that is the worst thing you could do to it. Im not sure why but he obviously knows.

Also true^^

Was he running more meth than water? KB says its fine to run a 50/50 mix. I have heard of ppl doing it for years and not having a problem. But they say no to running straight meth of the likes of it.

I'll have to talk to Tim about that when i call him again.

Quick Reply: KB non intercooled + Cams.