4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

gt engined cobra?

Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Sparkplug98

Exclamation gt engined cobra?

i've been looking lately at a 1997 Cobra that me and my parents had thought to be a legit car. but when we went to test drive it, we found that it did not have the 32 valve 4.6L cobra engine its supposed to have (its deffinately a cobra car, just with a gt engine dropped in it, not a gt mustang with cobra badges) anyway it some year (unknown) mustang gt engine in it with a cai and headers with exhaust.

my questions are these:

is there any way from looking at the car to tell what year the engine is?
i would hope that its a 99-and up gt engine that way it has the PI stuff.

if its not a '99-and up gt engine, then what performance parts (on a budget) can i put in it to try and make it somewhat up to that cobra status.

i would like to drop in a 32v 4.6l like its supposed to have, but i dont have that kind of money because i'm only 16 and i still have to pay for the car itself and insurance.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Rad Red 03

You could look for the serial # and match it by calling Ford and have them tell you.
Also your gonna pay insurance on a Cobra to matter what the engine is, it gos by VIN #.
Which means at 16 your gonna pay in a year more than youll probably make!

Also I guess Ill be the guy everyone hates by pointing out the obvious. What are you and your parents thinking? Putting a NEW driver with no real experience behind the wheel of a high performance mustle car, be it a Cobra or even A Mustang GT is like
handing a loaded pistol to a 5 year old and saying "go have some fun son". You know its
just a matter of time before the skills just dont match the performance!
How about driving a few miles before you ask somone to help scrape you off the highway! Just my opinion! I know Ill be called a few choice words, but come on, let be real, its too much car for a novice!!
Old 10-02-2009, 10:48 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

If you didn't buy it already don't buy it, you do not want this car, it may seem like a good idea now but it won't in a year or two.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:05 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Ok you need to walk away from this car and not look back. 1) Why would you want a Cobra that has a GT motor in it? 2) Why would you want to pay insurance for a Cobra that has a GT motor?

I'm guessing that there is a serial number that you could find what it was exactly but I'm not 100% on that.

And to make a NPI motor up to "Cobra status" you would need new heads, cams, intake, exhaust etc and that would run you WAY more money than you could spend.

Just wait and find a GT that you are happy with and won't want to mod until you know more and have more money. Good luck!
Old 10-03-2009, 07:31 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Yeah your first car should be something cheap and don't care if you total.A mustang at 16 is gonna kill you on insurance hold off on one a while 2 or 3 years at least.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:40 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by Rad Red 03
You could look for the serial # and match it by calling Ford and have them tell you.
Also your gonna pay insurance on a Cobra to matter what the engine is, it gos by VIN #.
Which means at 16 your gonna pay in a year more than youll probably make!

Also I guess Ill be the guy everyone hates by pointing out the obvious. What are you and your parents thinking? Putting a NEW driver with no real experience behind the wheel of a high performance mustle car, be it a Cobra or even A Mustang GT is like
handing a loaded pistol to a 5 year old and saying "go have some fun son". You know its
just a matter of time before the skills just dont match the performance!
How about driving a few miles before you ask somone to help scrape you off the highway! Just my opinion! I know Ill be called a few choice words, but come on, let be real, its too much car for a novice!!
lmao...220rwhp is SERIOUS BUSINESS
Old 10-03-2009, 08:09 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
If you didn't buy it already don't buy it, you do not want this car, it may seem like a good idea now but it won't in a year or two.
^+1000, you will regret buying this car within 30 days...
Old 10-03-2009, 08:24 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Get the VIN # if the 8th character is a V it is a Cobra. The 8th character is the engine code.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:31 AM
guitarist4life
2nd Gear Member

IMHO, if you want a stang, get a late 80s early 90s fox body. Im no noob to high power cars but my first step into the mustang world is with my 5.0 GT. Love it. Not really a "high power car" but fun none the less. After market support for the 302s is awesome. You can easily make the fox a speed demon. If you wreck the car, body panels and **** are relatively cheaper then the 97 youre looking at. Just my 2 cents
Old 10-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by guitarist4life
IMHO, if you want a stang, get a late 80s early 90s fox body. Im no noob to high power cars but my first step into the mustang world is with my 5.0 GT. Love it. Not really a "high power car" but fun none the less. After market support for the 302s is awesome. You can easily make the fox a speed demon. If you wreck the car, body panels and **** are relatively cheaper then the 97 youre looking at. Just my 2 cents

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gt engined cobra?