4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

SSS terminator catback

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 11:06 PM
jvinson
1st Gear Member

damn it seem cheaper to keep my set up now and jus go with the sss termi cats
Old 10-04-2009, 11:07 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Do you have the stock h, or a hi flow catted h? It'll sound great with a aftermarket catted h, but it's much better with a set of long tubes.

Last edited by mrtstang; 10-04-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:12 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Midpipe change and header addition is where the sound really is. The catback just changes the sound and will make it a bit louder. The midpipe will really change the tone and sound. Then the headers will do the same on top of that. They give the car a little bit higher pitched sound but i definitely like the sound of longtubes.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:14 PM
jvinson
1st Gear Member

its a jba cat
Old 10-04-2009, 11:25 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Midpipe change and header addition is where the sound really is. The catback just changes the sound and will make it a bit louder. The midpipe will really change the tone and sound. Then the headers will do the same on top of that. They give the car a little bit higher pitched sound but i definitely like the sound of longtubes.
While i can't speak for everyone, the long tubes gave me a much deeper note all around. At idle it's slightly quieter, but deeper and smoother, and at WOT it's much louder and deeper than the stock manifolds.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:27 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Wow that soundclip sounds terrible.

Whats the deal with loud? Do ppl just want to advertise themselves as a jackass all the time? my car is by no means quiet but its not crossing the line. I would never want anything louder than lm2s/lts/o/r pipe. IDK..maybe at 21 im just getting to old for that crap?
Old 10-04-2009, 11:45 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
Wow that soundclip sounds terrible.

Whats the deal with loud? Do ppl just want to advertise themselves as a jackass all the time? my car is by no means quiet but its not crossing the line. I would never want anything louder than lm2s/lts/o/r pipe. IDK..maybe at 21 im just getting to old for that crap?
The catted h sounds incredible imo! Like i said the clips don't do it justice, and you can't get the whole picture by just revving it. It is loud, but has a nice deep tone under throttle with the catted h.

The o/r x on the other hand, does sound like crap imo! At WOT it sounds like a beast, but it is really raspy/poppy everywhere else.

BTW, just because someone likes it loud doesn't mean they're a jackass..lol! As you would probably agree, the ideal sound is a matter of preference.

To each their own though!
Old 10-04-2009, 11:52 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Well i have 2 friends...both with identical 03 mustang GT's. One has a BBK o/r x pipe and slp lm1's. The other has BBK LT's, o/r x, and lm1's. They are both loud as hell...and i think that the straight o/r x is louder, but the car with longtubes is higher pitched in sound and more hollow than the one with longtubes. Dont ask me why but they used to go at it on one of the roads in town side by side and i would be riding shotty and her car(yes, the one friend is a girl with an insanely loud mustang) would be louder and deeper and raspier...which i think sounds worse.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:04 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
The catted h sounds incredible imo! Like i said the clips don't do it justice, and you can't get the whole picture by just revving it. It is loud, but has a nice deep tone under throttle with the catted h.

The o/r x on the other hand, does sound like crap imo! At WOT it sounds like a beast, but it is really raspy/poppy everywhere else.

BTW, just because someone likes it loud doesn't mean they're a jackass..lol! As you would probably agree, the ideal sound is a matter of preference.

To each their own though!
I just think its pointless to have an insanely loud car. You get nothing out of it other than annoying 99% of the general public. You also slap a cop magnet on the back of your car. It would be 1 thing if louder=more power.. but it doesnt.

To me its no different than a civic with a 4" exhaust driving down the road. its just obnoxious noise. lol
Old 10-05-2009, 12:22 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
I just think its pointless to have an insanely loud car. You get nothing out of it other than annoying 99% of the general public. You also slap a cop magnet on the back of your car. It would be 1 thing if louder=more power.. but it doesnt.

To me its no different than a civic with a 4" exhaust driving down the road. its just obnoxious noise. lol
In all honesty this setup is very easy to control. While the clip maybe decieving to you, it's not like a o/r mid pipe/SLP 1 combo that's obnoxious no matter how you drive it. I haven't had a single cop hassel me, or anyone complain about the noise. In fact most eveyone i know loves this exhaust. A lot of this has to do with how you drive of course. I don't go racing by soccer moms and donut shops, because i want eveyone to hear me...lol!

To say a loud Mustang is no different than Civic with a 4" exhaust driving down the road, is a pretty bold statement! I'd much rather hear a loud agressive mustang over a high pitched, ear peircing fart can anyday.

Quick Reply: SSS terminator catback