4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Want to go fast in the twisties...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 01:43 AM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Also to others saying not to mod yet, I am in Alaska lol. Auto X events are very very few. So I would like to make the car more fun to drive while I am here and can start doing more racing summer of 2011 when I am back in the lower 48. I will do good to be able to attend 2-3 events this summer. And besides...I have over 6 months of winter with the car put away to work on it Also...would removing the rear quads help or hurt?
Old 10-06-2009, 04:26 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

Originally Posted by 01MGGT
Ok I am still in the process of reading all that wonderful info. It's starting to make more sense but it's taking me a while to finish. lol. So what would you guys do with say 500-600 bucks to spend? I am thinking weld in FLSFC and rear lower control arms. What else? If I order FLSFC it will be MM brand as they sound the best on paper. What are some good brand RLCA with out breaking the bank?
I would get a good set of 200ish TW tires. Something like Falken Azenis, Kumho XS/MX or Nitto NT05 with your cash.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:09 AM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

+1 to tires
Old 10-06-2009, 09:35 AM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

I know you guys are tired of me using the shipping excuse but shipping for any type of tire to here is going to cost me around 100 bucks a piece. I plan to get tires when I get back so I can get a good tire without cheaping out because of the high shipping costs. I am thinking so far sub frame connecters and a set of MM non adjustable lower rear control arms.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:27 AM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01MGGT
I know you guys are tired of me using the shipping excuse but shipping for any type of tire to here is going to cost me around 100 bucks a piece. I plan to get tires when I get back so I can get a good tire without cheaping out because of the high shipping costs. I am thinking so far sub frame connecters and a set of MM non adjustable lower rear control arms.
not true on shipping...i live in germany, i spent $45 on shipping for tires to APO, which has to be shipped by USPS (not FEDEX or UPS). just have to find someone who will work with your situation, and maybe play your "military" card. i hate using that card, but some times its worth it. try discount tire, tire rack (a little pricey on shipping), wheels next, edge racing, summit racing.

+1 on FLSFC's. its going to be my first "suspension" mod. followed by brakes, shocks/springs. good luck man
Old 10-06-2009, 02:40 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sweger
not true on shipping...i live in germany, i spent $45 on shipping for tires to APO, which has to be shipped by USPS (not FEDEX or UPS). just have to find someone who will work with your situation, and maybe play your "military" card. i hate using that card, but some times its worth it. try discount tire, tire rack (a little pricey on shipping), wheels next, edge racing, summit racing.

+1 on FLSFC's. its going to be my first "suspension" mod. followed by brakes, shocks/springs. good luck man
Well I can't think of an APO to ship to. I live on base and have a normal address. I have tried playing the "military card" to no avail lol. I don't think even my work address would be an APO would it?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:51 PM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

didnt realize you guys didnt ship to apo there...i can see your trouble then i suppose. pretty retarded that i got my wheels and tires shipped here for under $50 total, and its overseas shipped via USPS, and you cant get them shipped on the same continent for a decent price. maybe call a few places and see if they can specially ship your stuff USPS? still probably looking at $80-100 for all 4, but better than $100 each like you said.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:25 PM
DS002
3rd Gear Member

If youre still on your stock shocks/struts then that should be the first thing you do. I just got the D-specs and I like them since they are a good adjustable combo for the price. If you dont want adjustable shocks/struts then the Bilstein HD's would be your best bet and if your springs are especially stiff you can get the revalved Bilsteins from MM for about 200 more than the standard HD's. Or you could really step things up a notch and go with some Konis.

More places that are great for research are companies websites, especially MM's. Their product descriptions are great and they also offer suspension packages, and if MM is putting those components together than you know they are a good match. I think their basic suspension package for the 99-04 comes with H&R Race springs and the bilstein HD's.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:28 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

Originally Posted by DS002
If youre still on your stock shocks/struts then that should be the first thing you do. I just got the D-specs and I like them since they are a good adjustable combo for the price. If you dont want adjustable shocks/struts then the Bilstein HD's would be your best bet and if your springs are especially stiff you can get the revalved Bilsteins from MM for about 200 more than the standard HD's. Or you could really step things up a notch and go with some Konis.

More places that are great for research are companies websites, especially MM's. Their product descriptions are great and they also offer suspension packages, and if MM is putting those components together than you know they are a good match. I think their basic suspension package for the 99-04 comes with H&R Race springs and the bilstein HD's.
A good set of tires is the first thing. People auto x stock cars in stock classes.

Shock/struts are important but tire is the most important thing along with brake pads.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:28 PM
DS002
3rd Gear Member

I didnt see your question about the quad shocks, to answer that it will help you to remove them. Upgraded LCA's or rear sway bar will allow you to completly remove them, they are just another stock component that hold the rear suspension back.

Quick Reply: Want to go fast in the twisties...