4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Want to go fast in the twisties...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:19 AM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Default Want to go fast in the twisties...

I know the majority of people here are more into drag racing than AutoX of open track type racing. But I have decided I would really like to go a different route. I want to get into some of the Auto X races and such. I have been doing some searching but it's hard to gather up all the knowledge to really get started. I guess my goals are to have a good track car but as usual have a half way decent daily driver as well. I'm not to concerned if the car has some draw backs during daily driving. Even if I can't make it to the track I'd really liek to have a car that's fun to drive on mountain roads and such too.

So far I have installed some steeda springs as my only suspension mod and plan to remove the ISOs this winter while the car is in storage. I am unsure of where to start next. I am not sure what upper and lower control arms and all that stuff will do to help me. I know sub frame connectors will make a big difference I just need to sort the money to order them As the car sits it seems to be a little prone to understeer and I hear adding the strut tower brace up front will only make matters worse. So other than the FLSC I am not sure what else to do. I am trying to keep it on a decent budget ( I know racing and budget don't go hand in hand) and I see control arms and such have a wide variety of prices and I am not sure what's good and what is garbage. I am sure shocks/struts will help in a huge way but I must wait till novemebr of next year when I leave alaska to buy the,. I don't see the point in putting new good shocks on with these HORRIBLE roads up here till I get stationed back in the lower 48. Thanks for any help and advice you guys can give!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:32 AM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

really helpful reply, licacruiree...

jazzer should be chiming in soon. for now, here is a link to his thread
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6-...ion-guide.html
Old 10-05-2009, 09:36 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

^^^^ Ya read the link and you will learn almost everything you need to know to go fast in the twisties. When time comes, I know Maximum Motorsports has package deals that are really good and you save a few hundred dollars by buying the package then piecing it all together. Also should remember that a good set of tires will also really help in the twisties.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Road racing is sooo much harder on your car than "occasional drag racing". You gotta pay to play. Be prepared to have a extra set of wheels and depending on how often you do it, multiple extra tires.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:08 AM
DS002
3rd Gear Member

Jazzers suspension guide is ****ing awesome, definetly read it cause it will answer pretty much all of your questions.

And understeer is a problem that can be taken care of, the strut tower bar isnt going to change that. And if youre looking to increase handling basically you dont want any UCA's, read the section of the guide on parhard bar/ torque arm combos and other options to get rid yourself of the binding UCA's.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:26 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

I have tokico d-specs w/ some lowering springs and have been able to just about eliminate understeer w/ the d-specs- they're adjustable too so you can soften them up for public roads after your auto x races. If you're serious about auto x-ing, you might want to just bite the bullet and get coil-overs though. More importantly, jazzers guide FTW.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:40 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

Just get a good set of tires and drive the car the way it is.

A modified car will cover up bad habits. A good driver is more valuable than the car.

Once you get to a good point in your car, start modding.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:57 PM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

jmac, always chiming in with good advice...i agree that you should learn to drive better before getting a car that is set up like you can drive good (not talking about teh op or anyone in here specifically, though). that is what i am in the process of doing.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:34 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmac72187
Just get a good set of tires and drive the car the way it is.

A modified car will cover up bad habits. A good driver is more valuable than the car.

Once you get to a good point in your car, start modding.
He knows what he's talking about. The only things I would tell you to get for your car to get ready to autox would be a nice set of street tires, some good brake pads and brake fluid. Do nothing else other than get all the seat time racing the car as you can. Use your mod money for racing events... keep it simple and once you get a feel for your car, then start thinking about mods to make you faster.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:40 AM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Ok I am still in the process of reading all that wonderful info. It's starting to make more sense but it's taking me a while to finish. lol. So what would you guys do with say 500-600 bucks to spend? I am thinking weld in FLSFC and rear lower control arms. What else? If I order FLSFC it will be MM brand as they sound the best on paper. What are some good brand RLCA with out breaking the bank?

Quick Reply: Want to go fast in the twisties...