4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Supercharger, options...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default Supercharger, options...

I am trying to decide on a supercharger setup. I want a badass idle, and a badass WOT. The only companies I can think of are these:

Paxton
Vortech
Kenne Bell
Eaton

Are there any companies I am overlooking? What does the Kenne Bell sound like at idle? What is safe for a stock engine? I am afraid to run 9lbs, hit WOT, and throw a rod bearing or something stupid. Is this common?

Ik that centrifugal chargers have a distinct idle, but do twin screws have anything at idle?

Also, what do I need to upgrade in the rest of my car? Injectors? Gears? Transmission? etc
Old 10-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Your idle will not change with a blower....... You will hear the blower, but your not going to get this big choppy idle or anything like that. For idle - cams

any of those blowers will be great for your car. They all make good power.
The centri's have a destinct whistle to them at idle. (sounds like metel rubbing on metal)
KB has a small whine to it at idle. (we all know what this sounds like)
None of them are going to be "loud" at idle given the low boost you will be running.
9 PSI will be fine on your motor. As far as something breaking, thats a risk we all take. Unless you are running your motor into the ground when ever you s/c it, you'll be fine.

Oh, and all these s/c have a badass WOT..... Some just kick in faster than others.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:07 AM
street7

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
Your idle will not change with a blower....... You will hear the blower, but your not going to get this big choppy idle or anything like that. For idle - cams

any of those blowers will be great for your car. They all make good power.
The centri's have a destinct whistle to them at idle. (sounds like metel rubbing on metal)
KB has a small whine to it at idle. (we all know what this sounds like)
None of them are going to be "loud" at idle given the low boost you will be running.
9 PSI will be fine on your motor. As far as something breaking, thats a risk we all take. Unless you are running your motor into the ground when ever you s/c it, you'll be fine.

Oh, and all these s/c have a badass WOT..... Some just kick in faster than others.
I've see this a lot of times... and I never understood what it was. Help? thx.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

WOT - Wide Open Throttle
Old 10-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

You left my personal favorite off your list... ProCharger. It definitely whistles at idle and lets everyone know its there. 9 lbs of boost is fine but you have to have a good tune. The tune is everything. Depending upon your other mods that could give you anywhere from 350-400 rwhp.

The factory kit comes with everything that you need (injectors, fuel pump, chip, etc.) except maybe spark plugs).

In my opinion the difference in how quick boost is generated between a twin-screw and a centrifical supercharger for a street car is pretty much overrated. Twin-screws make maximum boost around 2000 rpm (anything more is vented off) while the centri will continue to make more boost with rpm. When racing the only time the motor is as low as 2000 rpm is when launching. I already have no traction in first and I have to be careful when shifting to second so more low end torque would simply be wasted.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT
You left my personal favorite off your list... ProCharger. It definitely whistles at idle and lets everyone know its there. 9 lbs of boost is fine but you have to have a good tune. The tune is everything. Depending upon your other mods that could give you anywhere from 350-400 rwhp.

The factory kit comes with everything that you need (injectors, fuel pump, chip, etc.) except maybe spark plugs).

In my opinion the difference in how quick boost is generated between a twin-screw and a centrifical supercharger for a street car is pretty much overrated. Twin-screws make maximum boost around 2000 rpm (anything more is vented off) while the centri will continue to make more boost with rpm. When racing the only time the motor is as low as 2000 rpm is when launching. I already have no traction in first and I have to be careful when shifting to second so more low end torque would simply be wasted.
Not only do Twin-Screws make far more torque at every single RPM than any centrifugal can put down. They are capable of putting down max boost well before 2000. Whether the boost is blown off or not pertains to the throttle, not RPMs. Twin screws maintain full boost throughout the whole RPM range with at most 1 PSI of drop off at absolute maximum RPM(that tends to be in the 10-14 PSI range, if you are assuming the 2.1L). And it only loses that 1 PSI because it is out of peak efficiency when you start putting down 11 PSI or more on the 2.1L. 11 PSI or more will effectively blow your engine up so this doesnt apply to you. Traction is relative.

Last edited by Hangwire; 10-05-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by Hangwire
Not only do Twin-Screws make far more torque at every single RPM than any centrifugal can put down. They are capable of putting down max boost well before 2000. Whether the boost is blown off or not pertains to the throttle, not RPMs. Twin screws maintain full boost throughout the whole RPM range with at most 1 PSI of drop off at absolute maximum RPM(that tends to be in the 10-14 PSI range, if you are assuming the 2.1L). And it only loses that 1 PSI because it is out of peak efficiency when you start putting down 11 PSI or more on the 2.1L. 11 PSI or more will effectively blow your engine up so this doesnt apply to you. Traction is relative.
Power below 2000 rpm is worthless.
TS do make good torque, but they dont seem to really make that much more, the difference is the power band. IMO the one that gives a real "torque boost" is a turbo.
If you want a top end car, you want a centri or a turbo
TS are great for street/strip draggin... the power band is everywhere, so its very forgiving. They are also goods for strip draggs, if you can get a suspension to hold up to it (as you said it makes gobs of torque down low.
For an all out race car, a turbo is the best thing
For the most fun and ease of install and use, the twin screw is what you want.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

And now all three points of view have been represented. We report, you decide.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Dteal23
3rd Gear Member

You are forgeting procharger. All the ones you mentioned are good performers... I think porchargers sound the best (thants not why you buy a blower but im just saying).
Old 10-05-2009, 02:40 PM
1ATony
Former Sponsor

Vortechs a great system.I'd go that route or KB

Quick Reply: Supercharger, options...