4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Great Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:18 PM
fisher2985
2nd Gear Member

(i have an auto also) there is really no need to flush it because u can drain the torque converter on the 4r70w. and ur rearend shoudl take the 75w-140 synthetic rear-end grease. u will also need a bottle of friction modifier. far as the flush debate, i would recommend just drain and refill including the torque converter. (there is a 7/16 headed plug on the torque converter)
Old 10-06-2009, 07:24 PM
fisher2985
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
Drain and refill. Too many people are getting the wrong idea because they're "glimpsing" at these threads that mention flushing.

Drain & Refill

NO NEED TO FLUSH!

If you do maintenance and there still is a major problem and you "HAVE" to flush, it's too late and you should get it rebuilt. Flushing it wont solve anything.
+1 we get customer all the time with slip or shift problems that are upset when they request a fluid change and it doesnt fix their car. if its slipping u need to either repair or replace.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:46 PM
smashten
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xemeth
How are you pumping out the fluid? Sounds to me like you don't really understand automatic transmissions. The parts aren't just moving around there through the fluid. The fluid pressure is what controls the shifts. It moves through the vanes in the pump, valve body, torque convertor, and there's hundreds of passage ways for it to go through in the gear sets, clutches, and bands.

Also, most automatic trannies take 12-14 quarts of fluid for a flush. Dropping the pan only gets 5 or 6 quarts of it.
kind of a smart *** response for someone trying to help a brutha out. You start the car lugnut and you will probably go through an extra 2 or 3 qts than capacity before clean. It's a 2 man job. attach a hose from the line to the radiator,use an old milk jug and mark off quart levels. Pump one, shut off car, add one and repeat.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Haha, thanks guys but I'm just a MF Puppet, lol. I wouldn't ever dare to call myself an expert at anything. I'm a nerd with a good IQ and a knack for remembering...

...and I can't leave out how many things I've broken that forced me to learn something new.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:44 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Haha, thanks guys but I'm just a MF Puppet, lol. I wouldn't ever dare to call myself an expert at anything. I'm a nerd with a good IQ and a knack for remembering...

...and I can't leave out how many things I've broken that forced me to learn something new.

is that a no.....?
Old 10-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Haha, yeah, i'm sorry. "It's not you; It's me!"
Old 10-07-2009, 10:32 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

i stay away from the forums for a month and i come back to sxynerd getting proposed to??? wtf??? haha
Old 10-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackMage
i stay away from the forums for a month and i come back to sxynerd getting proposed to??? wtf??? haha
It happens more than you think.

Glad you're back, I'm taking my MF sabbatical as soon as I start my next paper. It's been an interesting month, more trash threads than Ive seen in a while.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:48 AM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

...more trash threads than Ive seen in a while.

yep, and more people asking the same thing thats been asked twice that day.

but to the op, my pops always just had his drained and refilled, and by buddy who works at a dealership says thats the normal too.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

It happens more than you think.

Glad you're back, I'm taking my MF sabbatical as soon as I start my next paper. It's been an interesting month, more trash threads than Ive seen in a while.
I've found myself wandering into street/strip and OT for entertainment lately.....tell me about it.

Quick Reply: Great Question