4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Advice on Suspension 02 GT 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 10:11 PM
stagnet04
1st Gear Member

Default Advice on Suspension 02 GT 5 speed

Well Im I just got a black 02 GT 5-speed a week ago and its AWESOME!, BUT the suspension makes me feel like im driving one of those old school italian boats, like in Indiana jones part 3 with Sean Connery as his dad, LOL! Anyways.

I was looking for some advice on a new suspension set-up. Im for sure going to get sub frame connectors, and most likely tokico shocks and struts, but I dont know what type of springs I should go with.

Im looking to get a nice aggressive look where the front is a little bit lower than the back, but not slammed or to subtle drop either, if that makes sense.... H&R ss, frpp "C" ?

I had a nissan maxima before this car that had the same problem, stock suspension was set-up where the front was higher than the back with the same type of ride. I got a some of Tokico illumina adjustable shocks/struts and progress springs and it was the best look, performance and ride comfort all in one....

Anyone have some ideas....

Last edited by stagnet04; 10-11-2009 at 02:16 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:41 PM
stagnet04
1st Gear Member

BTW-I have BBk long tube headers, I heard theyll scrape if I go to low....

Last edited by stagnet04; 10-11-2009 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:22 PM
stagnet04
1st Gear Member

No one? Really? Its not like im asking for the "best" springs or some general question like that....
Old 10-12-2009, 09:29 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

some shock struts and lowering springs are definitely your answer... as well as FLSFC's....

it will drive like a whole new car...

ford C springs only drop the car about 1.25" up front and 1.0" in the rear...

i would go with some H&R SS springs. its a 1.75" drop up front and a 1.5" out back... if you want to go lower, remove the isolators. if you want to raise it up a bit, get some new polyurethane isolators or something (i believe they SHOULD raise your car up a bit if your stock isolators are a wreck... plus i believe aftermarket iso's are a bit thicker but not by much. maybe .1 max)

in my opinion (IMO), i would get the H&R SS... the C springs just dont look like they drop it enough...

Last edited by hpwrestler220; 10-12-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:29 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

i would say get the H&R SS springs. i still wish i got them. i run prokit with mac longtubes and dont scrape unless im being an idiot.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:35 PM
stagnet04
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
some shock struts and lowering springs are definitely your answer... as well as FLSFC's....

it will drive like a whole new car...

ford C springs only drop the car about 1.25" up front and 1.0" in the rear...

i would go with some H&R SS springs. its a 1.75" drop up front and a 1.5" out back... if you want to go lower, remove the isolators. if you want to raise it up a bit, get some new polyurethane isolators or something (i believe they SHOULD raise your car up a bit if your stock isolators are a wreck... plus i believe aftermarket iso's are a bit thicker but not by much. maybe .1 max)

in my opinion (IMO), i would get the H&R SS... the C springs just dont look like they drop it enough...
cool, thats some good info, its funny cuz I keep hearing that the H&R's SS drop it 2',but the specs say 1.75 like you said....
Old 10-12-2009, 09:37 PM
stagnet04
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mvr
i would say get the H&R SS springs. i still wish i got them. i run prokit with mac longtubes and dont scrape unless im being an idiot.
Why dont you like your drop? I think your car has a real nice stance, isnt pro-kit 1.5 drop all around? I think that extra .25 drop with the H&R SS would make them scrape wouldn't it?
Old 10-12-2009, 09:38 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

if you can find boduke in some threads, or search for him, i believe his sig pic is H&R SS without isos and its NICEEEEEE.. perfect drop IMO.. others will hopefully chime in... look at americanmuscle.com and go to the springs you want and look at customer pictures... that will give you the absolute best idea

if i got springs, i would get H&R SS..

i also have tokico blues i think... they were on the car when i got it, but they are blue... idk what other shocks/struts they can be.. awesome ride though.. i love them.. its a nice stiff ride, but comfortable for daily driving
Old 10-12-2009, 09:40 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mvr
my drop is pretty much equivalent to yours and i friggin hate it too lol

im going to take out my isolators to see if i can get another .5" off my ride height.. if not, i may take the step to coil overs

IMO it looks best when you are fairly slammed if not totally slammed!!!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:43 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

does anyone have pics of their car with the ford c springs? that sounds like a good lowering for me - just because of the roads and my driveway and what not...

id like to see how they look. and how do they ride? ill check americanmuscle too.

Quick Reply: Advice on Suspension 02 GT 5 speed