4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Is a wideband 02 vital for me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:33 AM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Default Is a wideband 02 vital for me?

Ok so I currently have the mods in my sig image and in Jan I plan to add (undecided which exactly) a set of either CMS stage 1 or hitech stage 1 or 2 cams. I will be using the sniper tuning software that I just bought to do the tune. My question is, how vital for my application will a wideband be for me? I will be tuning the car myself since there is no tuner really up here. I will most likely be running a 90 octane tune since that's all I can find up here. I know for boost apps it's vital to have a wideband. I will buy it if I really need to but if you don't think I will be needing it right now, that means I have money to spend on other mods such as an intake or some new control arms. Let me know what you guys think so I can look for one if need be. Thanks for the help guys
Old 10-11-2009, 08:16 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You will not be able to properly tune fueling without a wide band O2 system.

That's why every tuning shop, whether they have a dynamometer or not, does have a WB O2 setup...
Old 10-11-2009, 08:23 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc1.php

FTW

$200 on Egay with a gauge and it even datalogs fuel
Old 10-11-2009, 11:06 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I am running the Innovate LC-1, it's a good product. It's a bit more accurate than others as it does it's own free air calibration (rather than depending on the sensor's laser trimmed calibration resistor), and with 2 analog and 1 digital output is is quite versatile.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:01 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

I saw your thread about buying special forces. Cliffy would know a bit more than I would about this, but I'm pretty sure that program really doesn't have the parameters to tune with cams. You may need to upgrade to the Commando program. And yes, you need a wideband. Even to tune a very mildly modified car like mine, you can't tune fuel without one. I can get away without for now and just do timing, but for the true benefit of a tune I need a wideband to get my A/F correct.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:19 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Do I need to get the gauge right away or will just the lc-1 setup hooked up to a computer work for me for tuning? I ask becaus eI have found some good deals on kits with no gauge.

EDIT: I found them with a digital gauge for like 194.00 so I guess I will just get one of those What's a good cheap single pod gauge? Isn't there one that mounts on the steering column?

Last edited by 01MGGT; 10-11-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:40 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

I also use an innovate MS lc-1 wideband. Its great. If your going to be touching the fuel settings on your Delta Force Tuning products, which you WILL need to do with the cams you plan on getting, you need a wideband.

If you want to make a business out of it you can purchase a setup that allows you to quickly attach/remove the wideband for on the fly tuning. Sniper offers a rig like this.. or you can make it yourself. This way you can tune your friends cars for them at a price cheaper than any dynotune. Iv done this with about 5 cars already.. fairly lucrative lol.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:48 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

lol. So if I turn off my rear o2's I can jsut install the wideband 02 and run it to the gauge to have a constant realtime AFR reading anytime I am driving correct?
Old 10-11-2009, 05:51 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01MGGT
lol. So if I turn off my rear o2's I can jsut install the wideband 02 and run it to the gauge to have a constant realtime AFR reading anytime I am driving correct?
yup....
Old 10-11-2009, 06:21 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by 01MGGT
Do I need to get the gauge right away or will just the lc-1 setup hooked up to a computer work for me for tuning? I ask becaus eI have found some good deals on kits with no gauge.

EDIT: I found them with a digital gauge for like 194.00 so I guess I will just get one of those What's a good cheap single pod gauge? Isn't there one that mounts on the steering column?
Keep in mind that I am old, however I would avoid the digital gauge and get an analog one. With the analog gauge you can see the rate of change and fluctuations much more graphically than with a digital gauge.

The data logging will give you nice exact numbers, an analog gauge will tell you in a glance, out of the corner of your eye, what's going on.

Quick Reply: Is a wideband 02 vital for me?