4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What Subs/Amp is everyone running with UDP's

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:17 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

I've got a tri-sub box... 3 10" MTX's, and a kenwood 1000 watt amp that I've never put in my Mustang.

I'm 24, and havent had the Grand Marquis for almost 3 years...

I'd love to put them back in for awhile, at least till I got tired of them..actually had a place quote me like 50-100 to install the amp and wiring.. but I'm not sure what they'd charge me for a bypass *which is what they suggested for the Mach system*

What do you guys think it should cost to have my **** reinstalled into my Mustang?

I have an amp, the wiring, and the box etc.....just don't know what else I'd need

and yes, it'd be too loud, so I'd have my bass down MOST of the time, especialy since I don't listen to rap anymore
Old 10-13-2009, 03:25 PM
ninjajoe07
1st Gear Member

i use a alpine r12 with matching 1000watt amp. works great and for my sn95 the box i have is golden. fits right in the groove of the trunk. i have 2 more r12s, alpins cda 9886 headunit with ipod adpater and a kenwood 1000w amp for sale too soo if anyones interested lemme know
Old 10-13-2009, 03:30 PM
ninjajoe07
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT
I've got a tri-sub box... 3 10" MTX's, and a kenwood 1000 watt amp that I've never put in my Mustang.

I'm 24, and havent had the Grand Marquis for almost 3 years...

I'd love to put them back in for awhile, at least till I got tired of them..actually had a place quote me like 50-100 to install the amp and wiring.. but I'm not sure what they'd charge me for a bypass *which is what they suggested for the Mach system*

What do you guys think it should cost to have my **** reinstalled into my Mustang?

I have an amp, the wiring, and the box etc.....just don't know what else I'd need

and yes, it'd be too loud, so I'd have my bass down MOST of the time, especialy since I don't listen to rap anymore

the bypass for my car was only like 30$, i dunno how the mach setup is for your year model, but since the speakers are individually amped they may have to re-wire all the speakers. mine you just bridge a cpl instead of rewiring all of them. are you using the factory radio or do you have an aftermarket one or plan on getting one installed?

as far as getting subs in the stang your gonna need a custom box made for the mustang trunk most likely. wiring the subs to the amp is super easy. id say around 175 for everything depending on weather or no they have to rewire each speaker
Old 10-13-2009, 03:31 PM
ninjajoe07
1st Gear Member

thats minus a box and radio of course! :0
Old 10-13-2009, 07:42 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
15s really?

thats such overkill.
I think 10s sound better than anything, 12s are just loud, and everything else is unecessary.

I don't waste my $ on subs unless they are from subway quiznos or dominos.
its not much weight but they do slow you down, that and the $ could have gone twords a go fast mod.

I would like a nice set of 10s in the truck i drive 25k miles a year, that would be nice but then theres no room for the tools so im stuck there too.
if you're building a race car and are putting subs in it, then there's something seriously wrong with your head... if you have a mustang that you drive daily and want to have fun in and really enjoy music, then go for a nice sub, I think a 15 would be a little over kill though... a 10 would do you fine or even a 12, my 12 is a little loud for me, but you can turn down the bass on your radio... some people on here have like 3 15inch subs and seem to want more... if you're trying to make your car faster though, don't waste your money on something that will make your car slower, it's your car, do what you want to it, everyone will have their opinions on what you should do to your car

sorry for my rant
Old 10-13-2009, 08:19 PM
stangit9090
2nd Gear Member

I don't know why anyone would bypass their factory mach system to not use the factory amps. Almost every head unit you can buy has a HPF (high pass filter), which separates the lows and sends them to the subs, and sends the highs to the regular speakers.

I turned my aftermarket head unit almost all the way up with the HPF turned to 125hz, and the speakers do not distort at all. I will be getting one single 12" sub as soon as I can think of what to do with it, whether it is taking out the rear seat and doing something back there, or putting it in the minuscule trunk.

If you do not bypass the mach 460, you can turn your sub(s) off, and turn the HPF off and have decent bass from the factory speakers and amps.

To all the people worried about weight, are you REALLY going to feel the extra 40 pounds? Odds are that you won't.

Last edited by stangit9090; 10-13-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Back when i had UDP's, i ran a pioneer head unit(dont remember which serial #), a "power?" rockford 900(red light instead of blue) amp, and 2 12" infinity subs. I didnt have any issues with it except the box and subs were retardedly heavy...

But times have changed and i dont listen to techno/rap/ect.. alot anymore so i have downsized. Went to a new pioneer head unit(again i dont remember what the hell model it is... just know its a flip out screen. But its nice ) , same amp, and a 10" kicker L7(the square subs). Havent built a fiberglass enclosure for it yet so i dont really know what it'll sound like, but it should be more than enough.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:12 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

What more sound do you need??? I mean the stock systems are more than capable of overpowering my o/r x pipe and flowmasters...even with the top up. But seriously, stock is as much as anyone with a stang is really gonna need. Dont like to add unnecessary things to my car. I mean unneeded weight, unneeded rattles from too much bass, unneeded strain on the electrical system. So id say no to a free stereo system in a stang. If i had another DD it might get some tasteful speakers to replace the stockers but nothing major. Id get something like rockford fosgate or some alpine stuff. I just like the best quality and professional looking stuff that i can buy.

Last edited by teej281; 10-13-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:26 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

teej thats what i used to think but idk i just like a good thumping sound system. i tihnk i will go 2 10's or a 12 with a 300 or 400w amp!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:52 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangit9090
I don't know why anyone would bypass their factory mach system to not use the factory amps. Almost every head unit you can buy has a HPF (high pass filter), which separates the lows and sends them to the subs, and sends the highs to the regular speakers.

I turned my aftermarket head unit almost all the way up with the HPF turned to 125hz, and the speakers do not distort at all. I will be getting one single 12" sub as soon as I can think of what to do with it, whether it is taking out the rear seat and doing something back there, or putting it in the minuscule trunk.

If you do not bypass the mach 460, you can turn your sub(s) off, and turn the HPF off and have decent bass from the factory speakers and amps.

To all the people worried about weight, are you REALLY going to feel the extra 40 pounds? Odds are that you won't.
you should take the car to the track before and after the install for $hits and giggles.

Quick Reply: What Subs/Amp is everyone running with UDP's