4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Suspension questions (another one...)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

LMAO.. Dont know.. I think he was parting out the mods to sell his car.
just a joke! not doing compound boost. I am done with this money pit after its all put back together.

We need to stop cluttering this thread. Take it to pm's
Old 10-13-2009, 10:11 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Haha yea, so in order for me to handle well i should buy a torque arm and watts link from MM/Griggs. But could i still handle well with the H&R SS's or do i have to go with a stiffer spring. Because i want an all around decent car. More or less max effort street car that could handle any kind of track day whether it be drag, auto x, or road course. Eventually goal is around 600rwhp with single turbo. So just saying in case that would sway anyones statements.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:32 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PaintballFreak
What most people do suspension wise on these cars make improvements to an overall poor (but cheap to produce!) suspension system. What we're talking about in this thread is completely replacing the entire rear suspension system and making it perform like a race car.

Yes, that kit would probably make your car handle slightly better. Is it worth $900? Hell no. You're better off getting full length subframe connectors, nice shocks and struts, stiff springs, cc plates, polyurethane bushings everywhere, adjustable tie rod ends, and better lower control arms, if you want decent handling improvements without breaking the bank. The stuff we're talking about here, many people would consider overkill.

in all honesty, i would love to install all of this and still have a fast drag car- don't we all! anywas, how much for everything you stated above? and does it require certified mechanics or shop tools?
Old 10-13-2009, 11:36 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

a good chunk of change and for the last 2 questions: maybe(depends on your skill) and yes
Old 10-14-2009, 12:19 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
a good chunk of change and for the last 2 questions: maybe(depends on your skill) and yes
my skill is limited...lol oil change thats it! hahaha jp
imma str8 gunner simple and plain. i'll save the twisted roads for a Cobra R I own in the future!!

for now, i want the simple and affordable mods yet good in performance.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:03 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

So, ive come to this conclusion...im gonna start saving towards a watts link and torque arm with some MM lower control arms. I think as for the springs im still going to stick with the SS's just because they will serve their purpose of looking good and doing a better job than stock springs at handling. because this isnt gonna be an all out handling machine. Its gonna be a DD with some drag, auto x, and road course racing. But i might just swap for some coilovers eventually. But the rear suspension is already gonna cost enough as it is so when i can do it i will but til then, stock style springs FTW!!! lol So overall, im planning close to a $2500 rear end of a car here or better including the new diff, axles, and stuff. So with this rear suspension setup of torque arm, watts link, heavy duty MM lca's(with sph. bushings on both ends), and d-spec shocks, how well do you think this car would do as a whole. Like really awesome handling street machine that can launch decent or what???
Old 10-14-2009, 02:15 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by teej281
So, ive come to this conclusion...im gonna start saving towards a watts link and torque arm with some MM lower control arms. I think as for the springs im still going to stick with the SS's just because they will serve their purpose of looking good and doing a better job than stock springs at handling. because this isnt gonna be an all out handling machine. Its gonna be a DD with some drag, auto x, and road course racing. But i might just swap for some coilovers eventually. But the rear suspension is already gonna cost enough as it is so when i can do it i will but til then, stock style springs FTW!!! lol So overall, im planning close to a $2500 rear end of a car here or better including the new diff, axles, and stuff. So with this rear suspension setup of torque arm, watts link, heavy duty MM lca's(with sph. bushings on both ends), and d-spec shocks, how well do you think this car would do as a whole. Like really awesome handling street machine that can launch decent or what???
GOOD LUCK! seriously. You got me lookin into suspension like crazy now! haha
Old 10-14-2009, 06:15 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

I am happy people here want to corner now.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ + 1

Originally Posted by teej281
Haha yea, so in order for me to handle well i should buy a torque arm and watts link from MM/Griggs. But could i still handle well with the H&R SS's or do i have to go with a stiffer spring. Because i want an all around decent car. More or less max effort street car that could handle any kind of track day whether it be drag, auto x, or road course. Eventually goal is around 600rwhp with single turbo. So just saying in case that would sway anyones statements.
Unless you are gonna go major *****-out on the oval and AX, just go with a Fays2 WL and MM torque-arm. The Griggs is certainly stronger and, depending on how one feels about the fundamental design differences between WL's, some would say better, but will blow your budget up unnecessarily unless you actually end up going 600 HP.

Jazzer
Old 10-14-2009, 11:04 AM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nascrchi
in all honesty, i would love to install all of this and still have a fast drag car- don't we all! anywas, how much for everything you stated above? and does it require certified mechanics or shop tools?
If you install all but the subframe connectors yourself it will probably be close to $2k. If you pay to have it all installed I would add on another $1k.

You're probably looking at close to $4k for a WL/TA setup and coilovers all around (installed yourself except the welding), once you add in all the other required components. It will be worth it hopefully.

Last edited by PaintballFreak; 10-14-2009 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Suspension questions (another one...)