4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

bassani etc really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 04:38 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

I don't believe that the systems are necessarily worth the prices they're selling them for, but ask your local fab guy this: Is he using good quality stainless steel piping and mufflers? I can tell you my SLP kit is supposed to be stainless, but I rusted through one of the mufflers in less than six months. To some point you are paying for a name, but at the same time, when you're paying $700 for a catback or over $1200 for a LT/midpipe combo, you're paying for something that should last as long as you own the car.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:40 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

i tihnk they are! have you ever heard bassani? my friend has an H pipe and bassani Catback on his Mach 1. sounds like sex coming out of his tail pipes!
Old 10-13-2009, 06:56 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

You get what you pay for. Your not just paying for the name your paying for the quality of metal/bends/welds etc.

You buy a flowmaster catback for 400, then when you have to get new pipes/mufflers in 5 years or so because the pipes are aluminized and rusted to hell.. ull wish you would have bought quality in the first place.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:01 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

My flows have seen 2 years of winters in western pa and the snow and the salt and the ice... they still look practically brand new minus a few scrapes from speed bumps. However, you generally do get what you pay for. I don't think I'd pay corsa prices but I wouldn't buy the super low end stuff either. Oh well, I guess I'll get back to you guys in 3 years if my flows need replaced or not.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:02 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

I think borla is worth what I paid for it...

It "sounds" quality. That's why I bought it.

If you just want noise, get just anything random. But if you are looking for a crisp quality sound, you need to buy one of the more expensive cat backs... I think....
Old 10-13-2009, 08:17 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I think anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I mean if you like flowmaster, then if you buy flowmaster you will find it worth it. If you like borla or corsa, you will find it worth the money you paid for it. Its all in what you like. lol
Old 10-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
I think anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I mean if you like flowmaster, then if you buy flowmaster you will find it worth it. If you like borla or corsa, you will find it worth the money you paid for it. Its all in what you like. lol
+1

I had zero problems with my SLP catback. Dont regret spending a dime on it.
And it transforms

went from a catback for 2 years to this:

and still no problems lol!!!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:08 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

well the sound is only mufflers and the setup you have, im talking to buy a whole catback system with the mufflers.

i find there is no point to pay for the cat back when all you would really need is the mufflers you like hearing is what im saying.

then save the money and find a good shop to weld them in. your only really looking into mufflers when buying any catback system. but to each their own.... i didnt know if i was missing something that buying a catback would give you more HP gains over a system where you grab some mufflers and have them welded in(granted the bends, welds, and pipe is of good quality)
Old 10-13-2009, 09:16 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I really dont get all those bends in your exhaust. Id make custom hangers that would reach to the stock locations and not have to have all those bends in them. Those are CRAZY bends man. You should definitely get a new exhaust setup for the new motor cus its gonna need to breathe through like 3" exhaust and minimal bends...instead of a snake of a 2.5" exhaust system. lol
Old 10-13-2009, 09:18 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by smitty2919
well the sound is only mufflers and the setup you have, im talking to buy a whole catback system with the mufflers.

i find there is no point to pay for the cat back when all you would really need is the mufflers you like hearing is what im saying.

then save the money and find a good shop to weld them in. your only really looking into mufflers when buying any catback system. but to each their own.... i didnt know if i was missing something that buying a catback would give you more HP gains over a system where you grab some mufflers and have them welded in(granted the bends, welds, and pipe is of good quality)
You will gain more from a catback because of bigger exhaust piping. And your sound will be different due to larger piping as well. 2.5 will sound different than stock and 3 will sound different than 2.5. So it all adds up. So i would never buy just mufflers unless i already had a catback and i wanted to change it's sound.

Quick Reply: bassani etc really worth it?