MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   Just pulled my silencer (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/568412-just-pulled-my-silencer.html)

scooter3 10-15-2009 06:08 PM

Just pulled my silencer

Took about 10 minutes and pulled my silencer out and what a difference. Much better throttle response. Now all I have to do is replace the crappy paper filter for a good performance unit and call it a day. No need to buy a CAI now!

Frostbitten 10-15-2009 07:23 PM

lol sweet. i added a K&N intake and it definately added some power. put a full exhaust on there and youll really start to feel some gains

0949er 10-15-2009 09:29 PM

CAI are pretty much useless.

If you want a new intake, after you take the silencer out, take a dremel and cut that whole "cap" off the end of the stock "filter cover" thus, making it able to suck air in from all sides.

Free Cold air intake that will work just as good as any (for the most part)

lilcrate 10-15-2009 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by 0949er (Post 6572506)
CAI are pretty much useless.

If you want a new intake, after you take the silencer out, take a dremel and cut that whole "cap" off the end of the stock "filter cover" thus, making it able to suck air in from all sides.

Free Cold air intake that will work just as good as any (for the most part)

He said no need to buy a CAI.

SVTeeshirt 10-15-2009 10:16 PM

lol i thought this was O.T and a gun thread.

carry on.

WannaBeGearHead 10-16-2009 12:02 AM

I have a question, why is it that so many people say CAI are useless and a waste of money yet they have a CAI or RAI? I'm not calling you out 0949er it's just that A LOT of people on here say the same thing, yet own a CAI or RAI. I'm confused?

TheCrimzonKnight 10-16-2009 12:07 AM

Because most of them purchased it and then realized it was not worth anything.

SVTeeshirt 10-16-2009 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead (Post 6572925)
I have a question, why is it that so many people say CAI are useless and a waste of money yet they have a CAI or RAI? I'm not calling you out 0949er it's just that A LOT of people on here say the same thing, yet own a CAI or RAI. I'm confused?

Originally Posted by BlackWidow00GT (Post 6572939)
Because most of them purchased it and then realized it was not worth anything.

DING DING DING!

the stock intake is quite efficent, its a good design, and metal intakes get heatsoaked. JLT intakes seem to be nice but are they worth the money? dun dun dun.

Do they make JLT for 2vs? i've never really seen anyone with one.... i have no clue why they wouldn't. I could just search and find but i'm really tired so for now sorry mustangforums lol.

IRSmart 10-16-2009 08:48 AM

any gains felt by removing the rubber fitting on the end of the airbox is most likely in your head. it is there for a reason, not to silence anything, but to stop the airbox from taking in warm air from under the hood. i simply trimmed mine so that it didn't have a bottleneck shape, but it is still taking in air from the fender.

and trimming off the end of the airbox would be and even worse idea, as it would then allow warm engine bay air to be sucked in that much easier.

scooter3 10-16-2009 10:31 AM

Well I was actually able to drive the car a bit last night with the silencer off and it was not responding the way it normally does. Seems to have lost a bit of top end. Drove about 6 miles to get to the freeway and then another 20 or so on the freeway. I played a bit with the throttle and the car just did not seem right. So today I am going to put it back on and stick a K&N filter in to get rid of the cheap paper one in there now.