4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Well SOB, rear diff seal leaking...And the money pit that will be the Mustang starts

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:49 PM
nagata
1st Gear Member

Cool Well SOB, rear diff seal leaking...And the money pit that will be the Mustang starts

Noticed a spot on the driveway this afternoon, looked under the Mustang, and sure enough, it's dripping a bit of fluid in the middle of the diff. I definitely checked the diff before buying the car, and it wasn't leaking. Not sure why it's started to leak, but the seal *should* only be about 1.5 years old, as the gears were replaced in the summer of 08 (have the receipt).

Is this a common thing? I could probably put on a new seal myself, but I'm gonna give a local guy who is REALLY good (and low priced) on rear ends a call tomorrow and see what he'd charge me. At least if I have him do it, he could look at the rear end in general and tell me if there's anything else wrong with it. If nothing else, I'll make sure the fluid is okay and put on a new seal this winter.

Anything odd about these diffs that I should be aware of? I know if I've got the stock trac-lok, I would need to add friction modifier.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:05 PM
LIKESITRIGHT
1st Gear Member

mine just started leaking too. i changed the diff fluid ( royal purple) about a month ago, and a week ago noticed the drips on the floor. what is involved in replacing the front seal, do you have to remove the insides ( ring and pinion) or can it be done from outside the rear end?? what is a good price to have this done??
Old 10-20-2009, 08:06 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Dude, do it yourself. Unbolt it, scrape the cover and diff. Apply rtv, put cover back on... Refill diff
Old 10-20-2009, 08:12 PM
99mustanggt
3rd Gear Member

I beleive he is referring to the pinion seal not the cover.You dont have to remove the insides but you have to make sure the nut gets tightened exactly to where it was so you dont have to much preload.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:15 PM
LIKESITRIGHT
1st Gear Member

yes ,mine is the pinion seal.
is there a write up on this anywhere on the net that you know of?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:21 PM
99mustanggt
3rd Gear Member

Not that i know of.Unhook driveshaft,measure turning torque with beam still torque wrench,mark nut with whiteout,loosen nut with impact,use puller to get yoke off,pop out seal,install new seal,put yoke on,install nut very slowly until original turning torque is reached,add driveshaft,check fluid.Theres a short version.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:39 PM
nagata
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dimebag
Dude, do it yourself. Unbolt it, scrape the cover and diff. Apply rtv, put cover back on... Refill diff
Well, I'm certainly not afraid to do it, but I may take it to this mechanic (he's done diff work for me twice before, great guy) just to get his input on the internals of the rear, make sure everything is in good shape and I don't have to worry about bigger problems. I suppose I could do some research and try to check it over myself, but I'm still no expert. I'll see what he tells me.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:16 PM
nagata
1st Gear Member

I went ahead and replaced the fluid/resealed the rear cover myself. Took friggin forever because I kept running into little snags, but it's done! Used RTV gasket maker and refilled the diff with Mobil 1 Synthetic 75w-90 and 4 oz of modifier. Most time consuming part was refilling the pumpkin, it was an absolute PITA, ended up getting a hand pump to do it.

Everything inside looked great, so hopefully the diff won't give me any further problems *knock on wood*