4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Product Review: StangMods Tail light tint

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 10:49 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Default Product Review: StangMods Tail light tint

Okay, so there are TONS of debates on witch tint method is the best. I have used three of them so far. I have used Night Shades, Ebay vinyl, and now Stang mods tint. The Ebay tint is mostly horrible unless you are an experienced tint installer. It requires you to use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat the film while stretching it around the lights. It's also relly thin and probably one of the cheapest qualities around so who knows how it stands up to UV rays. Being so thin it also rips very easily if not careful. I trashed mine after a failed install. Then you have VHT Night shades. Here it costs me about 20 bucks for a can as only one place carries it. And that was CarQuest. It takes precision to really get it right. You have to start spraying just before the fixture, then sweep across. Not stopping the spray process till you are past the light. This is required to get a smooth edge to the paint and avoid blotting. One can goes a long ways was well. Mine looked like orange peel a bit so I sprayed it and then simply wet sanded and sprayed on one more coat before allowing it to dry and clear coating. You have to spray your clear long and slow after the first tack coat. then wetsand and respray. It seemed durable but there was a slight difference in shades of the tint that was just enough to bug me. It's a good choice if you are entirely against vinyl. I prefer vinyl by a large margin! You can always remove it if needed to avoid a ticket or start the process over.

THE REVIEW:

Item 99-04 Tail light tint from Stangmods.com
Price paid: 59.99
Shipping: Free
Shade chosen: Smoke

I should note they do give I think it's a 5% forum discount but I forgot to use it heh. First off the shipping was really fast and the customer service is awesome. My first complaint about the product was that the pieces come stuck together (non adhesive side) and aren't labeled. It really is not a big deal at all but can confuse you at first. The initial quality of this vinyl is amazing. Just the right thickness to be durable and super easy to apply. They also are almost perfectly cut. You won't be trimming or stretching ANYTHING here! Just wet it, stick it on and get the bubbles out! I recommend wrapping the included squeegee in a microfiber to prevent any scratching of the film. Now back to the cut and fitment. In order to make it so easy to apply there is a VERY TINY amount of the light that will not be covered. HOWEVER, this part that isn't covered is the same color of the film and as you can see in my pictures it's pretty much completely unnoticeable! I was able to put all these on in less than 15 minutes. I had ordered replacement tail light housings since the other were done with VHT. So out of the car was easy but should be the same in. Before installing let the overlays warm up inside your house and make sure the lights are also decently warm. It will make is even more smooth to go on. Well Hope this helps some of you decide and sorry I don't have an installed pic yet.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Looks good! I had these on my s197 and the work great. I've ordered some other things from stang mods before and my experience has been nothing but great.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

+1
There a great company to deal with. I got my tail light tint from them. I ordered the blackout though
I did the tails and then made my side markers out of the headlight tint i ordered from them that i decided was too dark.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:08 PM
NotStok
3rd Gear Member

Definitely going to be getting a set of new stock tails here soon and do this method. I had StangMods vinyl on my GT back in the day and loved it. I tried the VHT route as it was less expensive this time, but it just looks like butt to me.

StangMods ftw.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:11 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Looks good! I just put on those exact same ones (smoked) on mine last week. My ride is dark grey too, and it looks really good imo. Just the right amount of tint to match our color.

I agree the quality and fitment are very good. I got the side markers and 3rd brakelight as well. The brakelight tint was crap though. I junked it, and got one from AM, and it was much better.

The only problem i have at the moment is that there are still a few big bubbles that i can't get out. I did install it in 40-50 degree weather though, and haven't had it out in the sun much at all since then. Stangmods did say that it will go away in time. They said it will just take longer without warmth and direct sunlight.

Last edited by mrtstang; 10-23-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:12 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the comments guys I love them like this. Just didn't think on Mineral Grey the black out would look as good. Tim99gt I love you car dude. The only part of a Roush I never was big on is the styling of the front bumper. That car is pure sex
Old 10-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01MGGT
Thanks for the comments guys I love them like this. Just didn't think on Mineral Grey the black out would look as good. Tim99gt I love you car dude. The only part of a Roush I never was big on is the styling of the front bumper. That car is pure sex
Thank you sir! Ehh to each his own i guess. Some times i would like to go to a cobra kit just for the mean look/tight fit, but then i think of all the ppl that have it on their cars and it makes me like mine more... I guess i like to be a little different. IMO, and i love the sound of side exhaust
Old 10-23-2009, 11:23 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
Thank you sir! Ehh to each his own i guess. Some times i would like to go to a cobra kit just for the mean look/tight fit, but then i think of all the ppl that have it on their cars and it makes me like mine more... I guess i like to be a little different. IMO, and i love the sound of side exhaust
I agree completely! And I like how you pulled off the Saleen wheels with the Roush kit! Looks nice I would love to see a set of Roush wheels on a mineral grey car bc I would love to get a set if I could find a good replica. Does the side exhaust still have the nice mustang sound or does it change?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01MGGT
I agree completely! And I like how you pulled off the Saleen wheels with the Roush kit! Looks nice I would love to see a set of Roush wheels on a mineral grey car bc I would love to get a set if I could find a good replica. Does the side exhaust still have the nice mustang sound or does it change?
They stopped making the roush wheels for our model year. The only ones you can find are used
Well the exhaust sound will depend o the muffler used. The regular chambered mufflers sound great with side exit exhaust. Just like a reg exhaust but louder.
I on the other hand went with SLP LM1's out the side I have LT's and a catted x so its not too raspy... but its loud as hell
Old 10-24-2009, 01:10 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

That's cool I really wish they made replica Roush wheels but I guess that they would lose alot of appeal if they became way common like most wheels.