4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

GT to sound/perform like a Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Cgjohnst

Default GT to sound/perform like a Cobra

I've got a 2003 GT that's fully stock right now. I'm really looking into things I want to do before I start spending money and getting buyer's regret. The one thing I have always loved about mustangs is the way a Cobra sounds(and i'm sure the way they run). I was thinking a K&N cold air intake and buying a racing chip. For the exterior, I was thinking about a Saleen or Roush kit. I'd like a super or turbocharger at some point in the future and a new exhaust to make it sound good(heard it gives better mpg and hp as well), though I really need to research it and learn how these things work. Anyone have ideas on how to make a GT perform/sound like a Cobra?
Old 10-30-2009, 06:43 PM
GoTigersJoe
1st Gear Member

buy a 4V engine and put it in a GT?

In all seriousness, you'll need to use some sort of forced induction and upgrade the suspension a great deal. You won't be able to replicate the sound with a 2V engine though. Trust me..I tried for a long time with my GT before I got my Mach.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:49 PM
bs46488
1st Gear Member

Glad somebody beat me to it. The only way to get the Cobra sound is to buy a 4V.

I have a GT with a supercharger on it. I was out the other night and heard a Cobra go buy, completely different sound.

I'd say start with the exhaust and you'll enjoy the sound of your 2V engine more. Cold air kit will help. Don't buy a chip or any tuning until after you get the supercharger or turbo.

Enjoy. It's addictive to modify these cars.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cgjohnst
I've got a 2003 GT that's fully stock right now. I'm really looking into things I want to do before I start spending money and getting buyer's regret. The one thing I have always loved about mustangs is the way a Cobra sounds(and i'm sure the way they run). I was thinking a K&N cold air intake and buying a racing chip. For the exterior, I was thinking about a Saleen or Roush kit. I'd like a super or turbocharger at some point in the future and a new exhaust to make it sound good(heard it gives better mpg and hp as well), though I really need to research it and learn how these things work. Anyone have ideas on how to make a GT perform/sound like a Cobra?
u won't get a 2v to sound like a 4v but you can get a 2v to sound mean and be as fast or faster than a Cobra but need more than just a blower to be > than a Cobra. Forged motor lots of boost, and suspension work.

Take your time and figure out all your plans and budget accordingly. Or sell your GT and buy a Cobra - install smaller pulley (more boost) and tune and 440 rwhp for the same money pretty much but the Cobra will be worth more when you are done.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:09 PM
Cgjohnst

Woah, thanks for the quick replies. I had just assumed Cobras and GTs had the same engine, the Cobra was just modified more. I'd really prefer to keep my car instead of selling or trading for a Cobra. I'm not planning on doing any kind of racing, but I would like to make it a "mean and fast" car as Ntriangle put it. Is it mostly the exhaust that makes the difference in the sound?
Old 10-30-2009, 07:23 PM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

The exhaust is the primary reason for your car to sound louder/meaner. There are a lot of different options that all sound different, so choose what you like best. (Headers, X or H Pipe, Catback, etc.)

Also, a good set of heads/cams will make it sound great at idle.

As far as Forced Induction, they sound great when you punch it. The whistle of a KB is like no other sound on the planet. For some ideas look on youtube.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:31 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Getting full exhaust, a KB and doing some suspension work and you will be having a mean sounding Mustang and a pretty fast one too.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Cgjohnst

A KB is a Kenne Bell supercharger?

Do any of you have a rough estimate of how much it would cost in total for a full exhaust, the KB, and suspension work? I figure the cold air intake will be around 120, then about 1500-2000 for the body kit.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:57 PM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cgjohnst
A KB is a Kenne Bell supercharger?

Do any of you have a rough estimate of how much it would cost in total for a full exhaust, the KB, and suspension work? I figure the cold air intake will be around 120, then about 1500-2000 for the body kit.
Do yourself a favor and go into the picture thread on this forum and others as well as youtube so you can be 100% sure what you want to do. People dump money into these cars and it just doesn't end up being what you want if you don't take the time to research.

I wouldn't waste your money on a cold air intake. Go on ebay and buy a $30 drop in K&N filter. You will get about the same result. Check out some of the threads on here to get a good idea of which mods are worth while.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:26 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

First of all, how much are you looking to spend?

Quick Reply: GT to sound/perform like a Cobra