4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Need Input on future of car

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 09:05 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Default Need Input on future of car

Well, I'm still 50/50 if I'm gonna continue on the car or not. I just spent all my k member/blower setup money on a motorcycle. I'm gonna start saving up again however I'm uncertain as to what I want to do now.

The car itself will be mix dd'd with my bike and it will see an hpde every now and then. What I'm looking for is 500rwhp/rwtq in a safe and reliable setup. I don't mind having to save up longer in order to do it as I am not looking for a cheap way to reach those goals.

2 options I was looking at is

1) built 2v, blower(uncertain as to which I want, paxton or kb) or if I can find a way to get it smogged a tt setup, tf heads, p51 intake.
2) 03/04 dohc swap.

I just want opinions and suggestions. If there are alternatives please tell. I'm a complete novice when it comes to the engine so I'm throwing myself at your mercy.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:25 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Wow sweet Stang! Looks awesome!

I would probably go route 1. With a built bottom end, TF heads, blower cams and a KB you would be easily at 500whp+ depending on how much boost you want to run and it would be a sweet ride.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Wow sweet Stang! Looks awesome!

I would probably go route 1. With a built bottom end, TF heads, blower cams and a KB you would be easily at 500whp+ depending on how much boost you want to run and it would be a sweet ride.
the whole thing is though, would the kb at that power level be dd friendly? My GF will also be driving my car every now and then.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:39 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

^^^^ Haha well 500-600rwhp is quite a bit for DD imho
Old 11-01-2009, 01:05 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

yes I know, which is why I'm leaning toward a paxton or turbo setup. A twin screw would be a bit much going around town.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:17 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

You want to be more safe and have room for calm DD, keep the car. If you want to go fast, build the bike. When I finally do sell my car, I'll have a Repsol sitting next to my classic.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:37 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

You don't actually think so right? My dad DD's my car every day without a hiccuup. Granted he doesn't like the cheap interior, but I told him it's better than stripped out like it used to be.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:59 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
You want to be more safe and have room for calm DD, keep the car. If you want to go fast, build the bike. When I finally do sell my car, I'll have a Repsol sitting next to my classic.
I'll be buying a larger bike later on down the road but if I do keep the car, I will want to see it through to the 500/500 goal, if I no longer feel like doing that then I will trade/sell the car for something more comfortable/fun to dd.

with that said, I'm leaning toward a built 2v, what should I be budgeting as far as cost for the built motor with p/p upper/lower and a novi 2000 w/ ic, I wont be doing the install as I do not have anywhere near enough confidence to do so, plus I live in an apartment w/no garage.

Last edited by Aereon; 11-01-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

A blower install is easy (about 5 on 1-10 for a novice) but the installation is going to be $$ unless you can find a good modular shop. 500 is easy and can be done with stock heads and cams so you'll mostly just need a fuel, the shortblock and a the blower.

If it were me and had already started going in your direction, I'd finish of the terminator powertrain install. The cost of a the engine and then install should be about the same as building the 2v.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
A blower install is easy (about 5 on 1-10 for a novice) but the installation is going to be $$ unless you can find a good modular shop. 500 is easy and can be done with stock heads and cams so you'll mostly just need a fuel, the shortblock and a the blower.

If it were me and had already started going in your direction, I'd finish of the terminator powertrain install. The cost of a the engine and then install should be about the same as building the 2v.
hard part is finding a decently priced 03/04 motor with the harness and everything.

Quick Reply: Need Input on future of car