4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

suspension help please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 10:25 PM
sonic03blue
1st Gear Member

Default suspension help please!

So my car is currently for sale..found a great deal on a local mach 1. I have a feeling my car isn't going to sell due to the economy though..so looks like the mach is out of the picture If that is the case my next mods are going to be some 4.10s and lowering my car. I want H&R ss and I'm going with mm cc plates. My question is about the shocks/struts. I want good quality ones that can handle the H&Rs but some that aren't too expensive. It is a dd so I won't be needing adjustable shocks/struts. What are some good quality inexpensive shocks/struts for the setup I want? Also, I was reading about using fox body shocks/struts..which would be better? And if fox body is the route to go..what brand? Thanks.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:20 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Can't go wrong with the Tokico HP series (blue ones). They can be had for 250-300 a set and perform well for a street car.

You don't need to buy fox body length parts. Aftermarket suspension companies take it into account that you may install their parts on a lowered car and their shocks and struts will have a range of tolerable ride heights. I had HR ss, with no isolators and x2 ball joints (makes front an additional 1/2" lower) which dropped my car over 2 inches up front and about 2 in the rear. I was at the extreme end of the spectrum and still had no problem with 99-04 sized Tokico HP shocks and struts.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:58 PM
sonic03blue
1st Gear Member

how are the tokico hp shocks/struts compared to the tokicos that come stock on mach 1s?
Old 11-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

i lov mine they are great for cornering but not the best for the track though.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:30 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonic03blue
how are the tokico hp shocks/struts compared to the tokicos that come stock on mach 1s?

about the same
Old 11-01-2009, 06:41 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Yes they are similar if not the same. BUT, paired with progressive rate springs like the HR super sport or race springs, the ride will be more sporty than a stock mach 1. You won't regret them for a street car.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:45 PM
WOH HRSY
4th Gear Member

I agree I have the tokicos as well, go for it.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:11 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PaintballFreak
Yes they are similar if not the same. BUT, paired with progressive rate springs like the HR super sport or race springs, the ride will be more sporty than a stock mach 1. You won't regret them for a street car.

Not so different that anyone could tell, I'd wager.

I'd just save a little longer and go with D Specs or Bilstiens or try to find some used ones.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:19 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

i think its pretty difficult to find good condition used shock/struts so, but if you do I'd jump on it
Old 11-01-2009, 09:33 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by POISND U
Not so different that anyone could tell, I'd wager.

I'd just save a little longer and go with D Specs or Bilstiens or try to find some used ones.
Used shocks and struts are typically a bad idea. If you change the equilibrium position of the piston on a broken-in shock/strut (which you will if you put the shocks on a different car) it causes the component to wear out and fail much quicker. This is the primary reason stock shocks and struts fail fairly quickly when someone lowers their car and doesn't get new absorbers.

Quick Reply: suspension help please!