4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Good deal on long style Stewart w/p!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Default Good deal on long style Stewart w/p!!

Thought i would post this for yall.
I have been looking at water pumps all day trying to figure out what i was going to run. At first i was going to go with the mezier electric pump but have decided not to. anyway, of all the research i have done today, everyone says the Stewart pumps and the Evans pumps are the best mechanical pumps to use as a replacement as they flow alittle more than the stocker does. Anyway, the Stewart pump retails for $160.xx shipped from summit and jegs. well i did a quick ebay serach before buying it from them and found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...item5883261388

He is selling them for $82.xx shipped

thought i would share with yall incase you are looking for a long style mech water pump. Sorry for the novel lol
Old 11-03-2009, 02:39 PM
ESABATM
2nd Gear Member

that pump is the same as stock.

the pump for a 99 cobra that has the enclosed impeller slings more water.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:56 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I don't want to see any other thread out of you until it has something to do with starting that damn car!
Old 11-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ESABATM

ehh.... oh well. I still dont feel bad for spending money on it
Everything i read said these 2 companies were the best at mech water pumps... BTW, i went through 4 forums. none of them mentioned the 99 cobra pump. maybe you know something no one else does ?

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
I don't want to see any other thread out of you until it has something to do with starting that damn car!
LMAO!! Well i had a small setback
Turns out you need a "special" spring compressor to get the springs out/in of the TF heads
So i had to order one. Its in and we should be installing the springs/cams/ect.. this weekend. Still need more parts though
Old 11-03-2009, 04:35 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
ehh.... oh well. I still dont feel bad for spending money on it
Everything i read said these 2 companies were the best at mech water pumps... BTW, i went through 4 forums. none of them mentioned the 99 cobra pump. maybe you know something no one else does ?

LMAO!! Well i had a small setback
Turns out you need a "special" spring compressor to get the springs out/in of the TF heads
So i had to order one. Its in and we should be installing the springs/cams/ect.. this weekend. Still need more parts though
Damn, that sucks... it's always something. That's why I always laugh when you see some n00b showing you his expected price list for his build. You have to add at least another $1000 (and 2-3 months) just in misc. **** you never thought of.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:40 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Any reason you went with a mechanical pump and not electric?
Old 11-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

That's why I always laugh when you see some n00b showing you his expected price list for his build. You have to add at least another $1000 (and 2-3 months) just in misc. **** you never thought of.
i know. Everyone thinks its as easy as buying a couple parts and bolting it on to make the car fast... i take the total i think it would cost and multiply that times 1.5.

Any reason you went with a mechanical pump and not electric?
Well, out of all the reading i did, there were quite a few horror stories of the pump failing and the driver not knowing. They all say to run the elec cuz you can drive the car without a belt if it happens to break, but if your like me, then you always have a spare in the trunk. Really that is the only reason ppl were saying to use the elec.

The power saved by not having to spin the mech pump is lost again once the elec pump is ran due to it placing a drag on the alternator.
So really, the only benifit i see is that you can run the pump with the motor off. But i cant justify spending $400 just to run the water pump without the car being on....

I dont think i will have a issue with a mech pump. And if it ever does go out, i'll know way before i would know with a elec pump.

Last edited by Tim99GT; 11-03-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Not trying to bring this thread back from the dead or anything but I just received the pump!!! Retardely fast shipping.I bought it from the above link right before i posted this thread! Not bad at all
Old 11-05-2009, 06:52 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ESABATM

how do you figure that? I gained 4-5 whp from it lol. I'm sure the cobra wont net much more and its probly not as cheap or as easy to find.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:59 PM
ESABATM
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MineralGrey
how do you figure that? I gained 4-5 whp from it lol. I'm sure the cobra wont net much more and its probly not as cheap or as easy to find.
Ford dealer still carries it. I figure it cause I read. Why do you think they sell kits to add it to SBC pumps? It has it's merits but not for hp gain IMO. I suggest reading the SHM book, you might actually learn something.

Hell slap some type R stickers on it and gain 50hp.