4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Questions on Bullitt brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 03:46 AM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Default Questions on Bullitt brake upgrade

Ok, so I plan to order some Bullitt Calipers from buyfordracing.com. I have a few questions however. First what else will I need? It says it includes calipers pads and brackets. I know I will need rotors. Where is a good place to get some affordable slotted or drilled rotors? I know people say they are useless on a DD but I plan to do road racing and autox so they should help a little. Not to mention in 13"s they should look good behind the wheels. Also, I can get the stainless lines for 59 bucks as a package with the calipers. Are the ones they sell good or should I get different ones? Also, what is the story on the pads that are included? I am assuming they are an OEM type pad and not worth keeping. I thought getting some Hawk HPS pads would work much better than the included ones. Where is the cheapest place for the pads? They are like 89 on American Muscle.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:29 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Don't buy cheap slotted or drilled if you are AutoX or open track days. Most people that do those things just buy the Brembo Blanks (meaning no holes or slots). Almost all cheaper Drilled and slotted rotors will crack under Autox and Open track conditions.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:11 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

i bought the bullit brake kit from them that came with the flat brembo rotors. install wasnt bad at all because the caliper came pre assembled. i also isntalled front SS lines, which was kind of a bitch. the braking now is 100x better, i have confidence now that i can stop the car all day.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:21 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Will the GT brake lines and master cylinder be good enough for upgraded brakes?
Old 11-09-2009, 06:54 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Will the GT brake lines and master cylinder be good enough for upgraded brakes?
some of the kits already come with the upgraded lines. for the ones that do not, i would still recommend upgrading the lines. the stock master cylinder will be adequate.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:59 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

^^^ Would you notice a difference in braking if you upgraded the master cylinder as well or is the stocker just as good as an aftermarket master cylinder?
Old 11-09-2009, 07:07 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
^^^ Would you notice a difference in braking if you upgraded the master cylinder as well or is the stocker just as good as an aftermarket master cylinder?
im sure you would notice a bit of a difference but im really not positive. i've never gone that far with a brake upgrade.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:16 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

stock master cylindar works fine with my bullet upgrade. i would reccomend upgrading the lines anyway, you have all that stuff off anyway and you have to bleed the brakes so why not spend a few more bucks and do it at once.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:50 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

upgrade the brake lines, make sure you know what you're doing, don't wanna fudge up your brakes, hawk pads are awesome btw
Old 11-10-2009, 12:34 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Ain't the bullitt brakes the same thing as the cobra but red?Yes most all drilled rotors will crack baer swears there's won't.But with the pads we have now drilled is useless in a street car slotted still works tho.

Quick Reply: Questions on Bullitt brake upgrade