4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Procharger or Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 05:15 PM
loweredfourpointsix
2nd Gear Member

what kind of gains did you get with the L/T's nanaki?
Old 11-10-2009, 06:31 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
Woah Nanaki, talk about random... I was trying to remember your name the other day and I couldn't for the life of me... some guy was asking about the difference between long tubes and shorties and I remember you had really minimal gains swapping, but I just couldn't remember your damn name.
hahaha! what's shakin man! yeah, i didn't even make 10 peak HP and less than that through the power band, and that was done on my car when i had the built motor and T trim. worst high dollar mod i ever got! i'll be damned if i still have the dyno sheets anymore though.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Vortech FTW!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:48 PM
JT76

I am partial to procharger, but with the new self contained vortech, you cant go wrong with either.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:30 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nanaki
hahaha! what's shakin man! yeah, i didn't even make 10 peak HP and less than that through the power band, and that was done on my car when i had the built motor and T trim. worst high dollar mod i ever got! i'll be damned if i still have the dyno sheets anymore though.
I saw no increase on the dyno when I had LTs and a catted x-pipe installed. LTs are the only mod I regret spending money on.

Back to the topic:

I have a ProCharger P-1SC. I have run it 50,000 miles and have not thrown a single belt. Self-contained does make you change separately which isn't hard. It just takes a little time. If you get it with the 8-lb pulley you can get a 3-year warranty. I still have about 10 months left on mine.

The only problem encountered so far was with my by-pass valve at around 30,000 miles. The butterfly adjustment locknut had vibrated off causing a vacuum leak. I found ProCharger tech support to be extremely friendly and knowledgeable taking the time to explain to me how the by-pass valve worked and how to trouble shoot the problem. They told be that even though the by-pass valve wasn't under the 3-year warranty, they would send me the diaphram free if I needed it. I didn't. Putting the locknut back on solved the problem.

I have heard good thing about Vortech but ProCharger's warranty and tech support would be very hard to beat. I have no regrets about buying a ProCharger. It was worth every penny and I enjoy the extra power every day.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Hey thxs guys for the info. I am preety set on the Vortech. Can anyone tell me what self cointained means? Will I have to get rid of my cai? I was also told that I may have to buy new cams, is this true? Thxs again guys..
Old 11-11-2009, 10:12 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Self contained means that the oil is housed in the supercharger instead of the oil being drawn up from the motor. You will have to get rid of your CAI because the charge piping for the blower will be different. You might wanna get a powerpipe, which is the s/c equivalent to the CAI. and you do not need new cams to put on a blower. You will gain more power with supercharger specific cams but you will probably push your stock bottom end too far and bend a rod or something. But you do not need new cams, you will need to get rid of your CAI, and self contained means the supercharger's oil supply is stored in the supercharger casing itself. And you will have to get rid of your underdrive pulleys too.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Hey man I see in your sig that you have a 03/04 Cobra bumper. Is that the front bumper? I am making radical changes to my car once I return from this deployment and one of them is going to be the cobra front bumper. I found a complete cobra bumper (including fog lights) for 450 bucks with an additional 120 bucks for shipping. This is through Blue Oval Industries. If you don't mine me asking who did you buy yours from and how much did it cost. Thanks man
Old 11-11-2009, 11:36 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT
I have heard good thing about Vortech but ProCharger's warranty and tech support would be very hard to beat. I have no regrets about buying a ProCharger. It was worth every penny and I enjoy the extra power every day.
with vortech, you don't need their warranty though

i never had a problem with my S trim, and i wound that sucker out pushing like 520RWHP with it before i got a T trim to break out of there.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:42 PM
loweredfourpointsix
2nd Gear Member

10HP might be worth $250 for L/T's for me.

Quick Reply: Procharger or Vortech