MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   Shaker hood (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/573030-shaker-hood.html)

Wesman 11-12-2009 06:27 AM

Shaker hood

Has anyone installed a shaker hood. They look pretty mean but how much do they do functionally as far as horsepower gain?

budders 11-12-2009 04:16 PM

depends on the color of your car :P

Z28KLR 11-12-2009 04:36 PM

I don't think they really do jack except look cool. IMO, I'm sure I could find another way to spend $700 on something that looks cool.

stangalator 11-12-2009 06:11 PM

i like the shaker hoods, but i dont think they make one for the 94-98 hoods, oh well. shaker hood and scope may add a few but its basically a ram air and we all know that those dont work at speeds under 400mph or so. I think at 70mph they add around .05 to .1 psi above the pressure outside. They are for that BA look but they dont really do much for performance :P

ztalon 11-12-2009 06:23 PM

Yeah, the shaker hood is more about the look than about performance. I happen to really like the looks of the large hood scoop on the new edge GTs, but the shaker hood not only looks good, but seeing that shaker dance around from the driver's seat is awesome. Though the shaker hood is smaller than the GT hood scoop, the built up power dome surrounding it provides an impressive view from inside that is unlike just about anything else out there.

Z28KLR 11-12-2009 11:37 PM

^^+1. Yeah, that's about the only way I'd do a shaker is in combination with an OEM Mach I hood. I'm not at all into the stick on plastic piece that comes with the shaker kits to go on the hood. My cai draws from the fenderwell, so I'd have to go with a different one with the filter element relocated back underneath the hood to make it "work". As a sidenote to this, I've read somewhere that CDC designed the Mach I shaker for Ford.

01MGGT 11-13-2009 04:19 AM

I wouldn't bother spending 700 bucks on it. But that's my opinion. 700 bucks could buy some better visual mods. But it's your cash.

IRSmart 11-14-2009 12:18 PM

$700? ha, i WISH mine cost $700. i wound up spending about $1,200 on everything, and that was getting deals on just about everything, but mine is a real Mach 1 hood, not the hood that CDC makes, which i think looks very out of place, plus you have to go cutting a hole in your stock hood. i needed a shaker itself, the mouting brackets, new hood, and then get the hood painted. and even painting the guy only charged me $250 to paint the hood and blend the fenders. then i had to custom mount up the shaker to the 2V engine. i love the hood, and love the scoop from the inside of the car. when i have people in the car, i'll hold the brake and press the gas (i have an auto) and the whole scoop will lean to the right.

as far as function, i wouldn't say that it does too much. a guy on mach1registry makes shaker air diverters. it's basically a metal plate that goes inside the shaker that helps airflow into the pipes. i don't know how much it does, but for $20, it can't hurt.

H0SS302 11-14-2009 12:22 PM

I think shakers are worth it. People spend 3-400 bucks on a freakin cobra wing..whats 300 more for a functional hood scoop?

As far as "visual" mods go, thats one of the only things I think is worth its weight.

Rokgtar 11-14-2009 06:39 PM

I love how the shaker hood and scoop looks on the mach 1... Damn I wish I could swing one!