4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

my tranny may be damaged :/

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 04:56 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Just get a stock replacement from what ive heard. The aftermarkets arent that sturdy from what ive read and people have some problems with them. So id just get a stock replacement clutch cable and an aftermarket quadrant and maybe a firewall adjuster. I think that might be the only things that id change. And did you leave the clutch from the 04gt on there or did you get a new clutch??? Because i think that the t45's need a 10.5" clutch and the t3650's need an 11" clutch. That might be part of your problem as well. So i'd check into that as well. Good luck my friend.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:03 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Just get a stock replacement from what ive heard. The aftermarkets arent that sturdy from what ive read and people have some problems with them. So id just get a stock replacement clutch cable and an aftermarket quadrant and maybe a firewall adjuster. I think that might be the only things that id change. And did you leave the clutch from the 04gt on there or did you get a new clutch??? Because i think that the t45's need a 10.5" clutch and the t3650's need an 11" clutch. That might be part of your problem as well. So i'd check into that as well. Good luck my friend.
I got the clutch for my t-45. The blot pattern for everything was the same-trans/engine and clutch.
I didn't leave the 04gt clutch.
And your right. I'll get a stock cable with aftermarket quadrant. As far as the FA, idk.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:04 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Not necessary, but just something to think about incase you might need it if the other 2 things dont work...which im pretty sure they will.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:36 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

so the trans guy said he needs to bring the trans down to check it out. DAMN! more $!
My mechanic, who did the swap, said he'll pay for whatever me may hve done wrong which was a relief. Maybe he didn't do something right with putting the clutch on. We'll see what this guy has to say tomorrow. I hope its nothing major because I'm getting close to passing my budget's limit.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:54 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nascrchi
so the trans guy said he needs to bring the trans down to check it out. DAMN! more $!
My mechanic, who did the swap, said he'll pay for whatever me may hve done wrong which was a relief. Maybe he didn't do something right with putting the clutch on. We'll see what this guy has to say tomorrow. I hope its nothing major because I'm getting close to passing my budget's limit.
did you try adjusting the clutch yet?

of course the mechanics going to tell you to bring it in and pay him. lol
Old 11-19-2009, 10:00 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Its already there...so he was gonna have to pay them anyways. lol but its good to get it checked out by someone that knows what theyre doing if he doesnt know anyone that will do it for him for free.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:26 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
did you try adjusting the clutch yet?

of course the mechanics going to tell you to bring it in and pay him. lol
Originally Posted by teej281
Its already there...so he was gonna have to pay them anyways. lol but its good to get it checked out by someone that knows what theyre doing if he doesnt know anyone that will do it for him for free.
Both mechanics are my dad's close friends. My dad has been a salesman for like 10yrs and has been sending him customers ever since, so no worry as far as trust goes.

But yea, imma tell him to check that first b4 dropping the trans; Check the clutch cable and if the quadrant is damaged or broken, right?
Old 11-19-2009, 11:31 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

yeup, go for that first. then check the other stuff.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:44 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

trans guy said it has to be a clutch problem. I told em about the cable and quad, and he said that it can't be the cable because is the cable was streched(not his exact words), there wouldn't be any clutch what so ever. There is some resistance on the clutch, but hardly any. Anyways, this guy better hurry because I'm getting tired of waiting! haha

Im starting to think that I bought the wrong clutch.
I bought this one:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ram-hd...45-clutch.html

I was told, by someone in the forum, to buy a clutch for my t-45- not the t3650, and toss the 04gt clutch. If that's the problem I hope this guy figures it out quick, but he doesn't specialize in Mustangs.

Last edited by nascrchi; 11-20-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:08 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nascrchi
trans guy said it has to be a clutch problem. I told em about the cable and quad, and he said that it can't be the cable because is the cable was streched(not his exact words), there wouldn't be any clutch what so ever. There is some resistance on the clutch, but hardly any. Anyways, this guy better hurry because I'm getting tired of waiting! haha

Im starting to think that I bought the wrong clutch.
I bought this one:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ram-hd...45-clutch.html

I was told, by someone in the forum, to buy a clutch for my t-45- not the t3650, and toss the 04gt clutch. If that's the problem I hope this guy figures it out quick, but he doesn't specialize in Mustangs.
exactly! which is why i think you should try to tighten it up a bit first. why does the mechanic keep thinking its stretched?

as for the clutch being the right one, im not really 100% positive.

i would highly suggest learning a few things about your car and how they work. you will have a much easier time dealing with mechanics. you will describe problems better and interpret what the mechanic is saying easier.

Last edited by 945LSTANG; 11-20-2009 at 03:13 PM.

Quick Reply: my tranny may be damaged :/