4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

SUGGESTION FOR SUSPENSION

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 08:29 AM
saveme20
1st Gear Member

Default SUGGESTION FOR SUSPENSION

I HAVE A 2001 MUSTANG GT I BOUGHT IT WITH LOWERING SRINGS WHICH IS COOL LOOKS GREAT BETTER HANDLING BUT NEEDS ALOT MORE. NEXT I THINK I'M GOING WITH THE BBK UPPER AND LOWER CONTROL ARMS AND IM GETTING NITTO INVOS WHAT ELSE DO YOU ALL THINK I SHOULD DO? I WANT TO BE ABLE TO TAKE CORNERS WITHOUT BEING AFRAID OF IT KICKING OUT LIKE I AM NOW LOL. I MEAN I LOVE TO DRIFT SO I'M USE TO IT I CAN HANDLE IT SIDEWAYS ALL DAY BUT NOTHINGS WORSE THAN IT KICKING OUT UNEXPECTED. ALSO WHEN ITS WET I WANA BE ABLE TO GET ON IT WITH AT LEAST SOME CONTROL NOW WHEN I STOMP IT IN 3RD AROUND 2500 IT STILL SPINS HAHAHA
Old 11-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

The lower control arms will help in both straight line and in cornering; in corners it'll be a little more predictable and easier to bring back in when it does slide. I'm on the fence about doing the uppers, as I've read that getting ones with more rigidity (stiffer bushings and/or more rigid construction of the actual arm itself) will ultimately increase suspension bind which is the big problem with our stock setup. I would just do the lowers for now and maybe look into a Panhard Bar or (even better) a Watts Link setup for the future (with a Watts installed you can ditch the factory uppers and the quad shocks altogether I believe). And although they're definitely better than stock, I'm not sure how great the BBK lca's are, before you make a final decision take a look at Maximum Motorsports' lca's. They cost a little more, but from everything I read they seem to be more highly regarded than anything else out there (along with just about everything else Maximum Motorsports makes).
Old 11-19-2009, 10:55 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Panhard bar/watts link, torque arm, LCAs and some sticky tires. That will help keep your rearend from slidding out on you, although I wouldn't want to be taking corners hard when it's wet outside, that is not a good idea.

Last edited by WannaBeGearHead; 11-19-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

Subframe connectors.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

OP... please check out the Official Suspension Guide as you are going to need a specific type of LCA and would NOT get new UCA's. Get FLSFC's, a PHB or WL and torque-arm as above have suggested.

Jazzer
Old 11-19-2009, 12:37 PM
saveme20
1st Gear Member

so new lca's thats it for now well that and tires? i heard nitto invos are best in wet for performance and amazing in dry my dad has them on his vette and he loves them
Old 11-19-2009, 01:21 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

Ditch the Invos if you want to do HPDE's or Auto x.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:46 PM
v braaten
1st Gear Member

A few months back I installed a panhard bar, Ford Racing "C" lowering springs and Bilstein shocks/struts. The difference over the stock setup was incredible. Cornering is so much more controlled and smooth and with wide, sticky tires it gives me a lot of confidence going into monster turns at high speed. The other mods posted by others seem to be good too!!!!!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:08 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by saveme20
I HAVE A 2001 MUSTANG GT I BOUGHT IT WITH LOWERING SRINGS WHICH IS COOL LOOKS GREAT BETTER HANDLING BUT NEEDS ALOT MORE. NEXT I THINK I'M GOING WITH THE BBK UPPER AND LOWER CONTROL ARMS AND IM GETTING NITTO INVOS WHAT ELSE DO YOU ALL THINK I SHOULD DO? I WANT TO BE ABLE TO TAKE CORNERS WITHOUT BEING AFRAID OF IT KICKING OUT LIKE I AM NOW LOL. I MEAN I LOVE TO DRIFT SO I'M USE TO IT I CAN HANDLE IT SIDEWAYS ALL DAY BUT NOTHINGS WORSE THAN IT KICKING OUT UNEXPECTED. ALSO WHEN ITS WET I WANA BE ABLE TO GET ON IT WITH AT LEAST SOME CONTROL NOW WHEN I STOMP IT IN 3RD AROUND 2500 IT STILL SPINS HAHAHA
then i would start with some new tires.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:27 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

I WOULD READ JAZZERS THREAD ON SUSPENSION!!!!

Quick Reply: SUGGESTION FOR SUSPENSION