4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

my tranny may be damaged :/

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 12:16 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Exclamation my tranny may be damaged :/

supp guys!

My swap was almost successful, however there's another problem.

Alright so check it out:

If the car is off and I press the clutch in, all the gears go in effortlessly.
I can turn on the car when it's in neutral and everything. BUT, when the car is on, I cannot put it into any gear. Now, if the car is off and I put it into 1st, and then turn the car on, the car will begin to take off with the clutch in or out, unless I apply the brakes. And I cannot put the car in neutral while the car is trying to take off. It stays in first until I turn the car off, which then allows me to put it in neutral.
Before the swap, car was shifting good. My TOB was shot.

>So what's going on? Is my trans damaged or do I need a clutch cable?

Notes: Just put a 04gt engine on my 96gt to a t-45.
Brand new clutch with no new clutch cable.
Car fires up fine and sounds crisp.

I'd appreciate any input...

Last edited by nascrchi; 11-19-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:05 AM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

That sounds like a clutch problem but I am kind of a noob. I know I had a car with a clutch so bad you could idle in 1st with your foot off the clutch
Old 11-19-2009, 11:57 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01MGGT
That sounds like a clutch problem but I am kind of a noob. I know I had a car with a clutch so bad you could idle in 1st with your foot off the clutch
idk whats going on. I'm not too knowledgable about transmissions, let alone engines, so I drove the car to the a transmission shop a while ago.

I drove it about 1/4 of mile to the shop in 1st gear because as I'm rolling, the car doesn't shift. The car sounds good but theres a sound. Can't really explain the sound but it's a light one. I went up to 3kRMPs and didn't wanna go any higher.

Hopefully that gives some of you an idea as to what may be the problem.

Could it be that the 04 gt engine(which takes a diff clutch than my 96gt engine) be the problem? The t-45 fit, and the car turns on no problem with any noise what so ever. I'm thinking the clutch is defective or the cluch combination was wrong.

Last edited by nascrchi; 11-19-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:29 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

do you have an aftermarket quadrant? did you adjust the clutch properly? it sounds to me like your clutch isn't fully disengaging. i would take off the clutch fork cover and watch as someone operates the clutch. make sure the TOB slides smoothly and fully disengages the clutch.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:58 PM
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

^ +1
Old 11-19-2009, 04:13 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
do you have an aftermarket quadrant? did you adjust the clutch properly? it sounds to me like your clutch isn't fully disengaging. i would take off the clutch fork cover and watch as someone operates the clutch. make sure the TOB slides smoothly and fully disengages the clutch.
Alright. The quadrant and the clutch cable kit cost about 100 so I'm good.
If that's the problem.
When the transmission mechanic calls me I'll let em know.
Thanks for that man; I appreciate it.

CAn it be anything else. I wanna know what the worst problem could be so I prepare and budget.

Oh, and I do not have an aftermarket quadrant or cable.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:29 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nascrchi
Alright. The quadrant and the clutch cable kit cost about 100 so I'm good.
If that's the problem.
When the transmission mechanic calls me I'll let em know.
Thanks for that man; I appreciate it.

CAn it be anything else. I wanna know what the worst problem could be so I prepare and budget.

Oh, and I do not have an aftermarket quadrant or cable.
im sorry but im a bit confused. was that $100 for the stock plastic replacement?

im still putting my money on the clutch. either it is improperly adjusted or the mechanic (im assuming you got it installed elsewhere based on your responses) didn't install everything right. i would find a way to get it back to the shop ASAP.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:36 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

im sorry but im a bit confused. was that $100 for the stock plastic replacement?

im still putting my money on the clutch. either it is improperly adjusted or the mechanic (im assuming you got it installed elsewhere based on your responses) didn't install everything right. i would find a way to get it back to the shop ASAP.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/noname3.html is what I'm talking about. Is that what you were talking about?

I had my dads buddy do the swap.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:39 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nascrchi
http://www.americanmuscle.com/noname3.html is what I'm talking about. Is that what you were talking about?

I had my dads buddy do the swap.
yeah man thats an aftermarket peice that needs to be properly adjusted. try turning the firewall adjuster counter-clockwise to tighten up the cable a bit. hopefully that should fix your issues.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:47 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

yeah man thats an aftermarket peice that needs to be properly adjusted. try turning the firewall adjuster counter-clockwise to tighten up the cable a bit. hopefully that should fix your issues.
koo. The cable must be streched because it's never been changed and the car has 160k miles.

Thanks for that.

Quick Reply: my tranny may be damaged :/