4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

The man in brown IS FTW

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:44 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

^^^ LSA = Lobe Seperation Angle
Old 11-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Congrats!
Old 11-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Kool let me know how that power curve works on auto X , I was thinking stage 1's would suite it better.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:59 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr Graystang
Kool let me know how that power curve works on auto X , I was thinking stage 1's would suite it better.
Yes, for auto x stage 1s would have been a better choice. But... I wanted something that would run hard. ya know?
Old 11-24-2009, 08:42 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

No problem and good luck with the install duder! So I know you use sniper for tunning, do you have any plans of putting it on the rollers for some numbers?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:10 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
No problem and good luck with the install duder! So I know you use sniper for tunning, do you have any plans of putting it on the rollers for some numbers?
I may put it on the rollers whenever they have another dyno day. I always say i am going to go but never end up going lol.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Are you doing the valve springs yourself?

They are a HUGE PITA. Make sure you rig something to thread into the spark plug hole with compressed air hooked up to it, so the valves don't drop down when you take off the stock springs.

Also, what tool are you going to use? The OTC one is popular. They make another one that bolts to where the cam caps were and has a bar going across the head that I'd heard works pretty well. When I did mine, I had a crappy clamp style compressor (heads were off the car). I did a few of them, and then realized I had about 30 left and said "**** this..." and took them to a machine shop. It was worth the $150 to save myself the aggravation. The stock ones weren't bad coming off, but the new ones were so stiff the compressor I had wasn't cutting it.

Good luck.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:03 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xemeth
Are you doing the valve springs yourself?

They are a HUGE PITA. Make sure you rig something to thread into the spark plug hole with compressed air hooked up to it, so the valves don't drop down when you take off the stock springs.

Also, what tool are you going to use? The OTC one is popular. They make another one that bolts to where the cam caps were and has a bar going across the head that I'd heard works pretty well. When I did mine, I had a crappy clamp style compressor (heads were off the car). I did a few of them, and then realized I had about 30 left and said "**** this..." and took them to a machine shop. It was worth the $150 to save myself the aggravation. The stock ones weren't bad coming off, but the new ones were so stiff the compressor I had wasn't cutting it.

Good luck.
A buddy of mine has the tool for the comp valve springs, IDK if its actually comp brand or not. He said hed help me with the swap(hes done quite a few on 2vs) so I dont anticipate any issues.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:15 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
A buddy of mine has the tool for the comp valve springs, IDK if its actually comp brand or not. He said hed help me with the swap(hes done quite a few on 2vs) so I dont anticipate any issues.
If you have the air fitting for the spark plug hole and the right compressor.... it's no biggy at all.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
That's cool as long as you have the right tool to do it. The compressor I was using was for pushrod motors, so that didn't help. And I had to do 32, so I said **** it.

Just make sure to change the valve seals while you're there. For what they cost it doesn't make any sense not to.

Quick Reply: The man in brown IS FTW