4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Comp XE268AH vs XE270AH

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 09:18 AM
quickie1

Hi guys. Jim here. New guy on the block. Been reading with great interest this thread. I just got off the phone with "Mike", (real name) at comp cams. Very interesting conversation. First of all, they (he) does not like American Muscle. Said they didn't know what they were doing. Well, I do buy from them and was concerned once by mis information, but everyone does that now and then. "Mike" stated that the comp cams 270 grind, (550 lift) was a 50/50 chance cam as far as hitting the piston with the valves. Whereas A/M states it no problem, nothing to worry about. He recommended the 268 grind for me.

Let me tell you what he said. The reason he says I have a 50/50 chance of hitting the pistons with the 270 grind was because Ford uses different pistons from different vendors. They all aren't cut the same. He also claimed to have been a retired Ford mechanic.

So, as I research these cams more and more, or as you guys research, please take into consideration what this tech from Comp Cams has said. I seem to be leaning toward the Hitechs now.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:23 AM
quickie1

Originally Posted by evanjp
definitely. but my logic on it is: if what is already on the engine can do the same job just as well, and the difference between the two isn't anything or is minimal with the grind of the cam, being as it isn't necessary to change the stock springs because a beehive spring from comp cams wouldn't make a difference, then why put the extra 250-300 bucks for something that isn't totally necessary?

if i had over 60,000 miles i could see that the part might be wearing out or have some use that might be too extensive to support the cam i'm looking at, but i dunno, 30,000 miles doesn';t seem like too many miles to change them out. i could be wrong, but what do you think?
Because there IS a difference. Bigger cam rate, more of a chance to float a valve and damage your engine. Springs wear down....simple as that. DON'T cut corners. Take it from someone who has learned the HARD way.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:02 AM
madjimmax
1st Gear Member

Digging up some old stuff huh? But since we're here I'll just say that from the research that I did before my build, I was told that the hitechs are designed to be run in a stock PI head, as were the 270s would be best suited in a ported PI head. As mentioned earlier in this thread this is because the intake side of the PI head being some what restrictive is the reason the Hitechs seem to be putting up better numbers on a stock head. Also as stated earlier in this thread if your going to stick a stage 2 or any aftermarket cam in your ride and not change the springs, your definitely playing with fire. The $250 that your complaining about will be ten fold if a valve slaps a piston at 5000+ rpms.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:39 AM
quickie1

Originally Posted by madjimmax
Digging up some old stuff huh? But since we're here I'll just say that from the research that I did before my build, I was told that the hitechs are designed to be run in a stock PI head, as were the 270s would be best suited in a ported PI head. As mentioned earlier in this thread this is because the intake side of the PI head being some what restrictive is the reason the Hitechs seem to be putting up better numbers on a stock head. Also as stated earlier in this thread if your going to stick a stage 2 or any aftermarket cam in your ride and not change the springs, your definitely playing with fire. The $250 that your complaining about will be ten fold if a valve slaps a piston at 5000+ rpms.

I seem to be leaning towards the Hitech stage two. My goal is, aftermarket cold air intake and exhaust...which I just had installed yesterday. Magnaflows cat back system. Sounds glorious!! What is the hitech idle like. A good cam lope I hope. I also will be putting in a new torque converter...say a 2000 rpm stall. And 373 rear ends gears with a new valve body for the trany.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:52 AM
madjimmax
1st Gear Member

First off I have Comp Cams not hitechs and I love my comps, just to let you know Hitech cams are made or ground should I say by Comp Cams. So in all reality your getting a Comp Cam that is ground to Hitechs specs. Secondly if you only have a cat back and your still running your stock exhaust manifolds and cats, Stage 2s are a total waste of your money IMO. To buy a cam just because how it sounds at idle is just plain stupid, Your car will sound nice when idling but run like a POS when your out on the street where it counts.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:49 PM
quickie1

First off I have Comp Cams not hitechs and I love my comps, just to let you know Hitech cams are made or ground should I say by Comp Cams. So in all reality your getting a Comp Cam that is ground to Hitechs specs. Secondly if you only have a cat back and your still running your stock exhaust manifolds and cats, Stage 2s are a total waste of your money IMO. To buy a cam just because how it sounds at idle is just plain stupid, Your car will sound nice when idling but run like a POS when your out on the street where it counts.
I see. Calling someone names after his second post? How old are you? I have just started to do the mods. Exhaust and cold air, as recommended by crane by the way. Rear end gears to follow. Now about the sound of a cam. Where did I ever state I was "To buy a cam just because how it sounds at idle "?

In the future, keep your insults to your age group.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:24 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

comp 270's need to be installed at -2* to avoid hitting the pistons, it may not be noticable but guaranteed when you tear it down again youll have some nice little eyebrows in the pistons...

FWIW, im running modified intake valves (.045" off the lip), .050" notched pistons at +2* and im getting close to where i stop feeling comfy with PTV

yes, always install springs when you do cams, MHS has done a very good job engineering the ramp rates to work with stock springs that hold stock pressure...

rest assured, at the NEWEST youre engine is now almost 10 years old your springs are NOT holding stock pressure, just swap them out
Old 07-16-2012, 05:22 AM
madjimmax
1st Gear Member

WOW dude really, thats what you got from that? You need to go get a little thicker skinned if you took that as an insult.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:41 AM
quickie1

WOW dude really, thats what you got from that? You need to go get a little thicker skinned if you took that as an insult.
No "dude". You need to grow up. Try not throwing out insults towards people.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:49 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

I know i dont see how that was an insult lol. its the internet. I was reading about S197's the other day and you'd die if you knew how many of those guys buy FRPP hot rod cams just for the sound.

Quick Reply: Comp XE268AH vs XE270AH