4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Car's too dang modest!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 12:57 PM
marcosbullock
1st Gear Member

Ha! It was one cam but a helluva cam! American thunder may be a nice option but I'll have to wait. JUST put the bullets on there today. Is there a muffler to decibel chart somewhere that compares the different popular brands?

Last edited by marcosbullock; 11-30-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:09 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I dont know if there is or not but usually straight through mufflers are quieter at idle than chambered mufflers. My car idles louder than my friend's does and he has l/t's, o/r x pipe, and LM1's.(check sig for my exhaust) Could just be the mufflers need to be broken in cus if i remember correctly the dynomax bullet mufflers are a glasspack style or something to that effect and they probably need broken in. They will grow louder. But the fact that you have resonator tips on your car actually deadens the sound too. Thats why they are called resonated tips...they absorb some of the sound into the tip...kinda like SLP's resonated dual wall tips. If you put some regular 3.5 inch exhaust tips it will probably sound a little louder at idle.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:13 PM
marcosbullock
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
I dont know if there is or not but usually straight through mufflers are quieter at idle than chambered mufflers. My car idles louder than my friend's does and he has l/t's, o/r x pipe, and LM1's.(check sig for my exhaust) Could just be the mufflers need to be broken in cus if i remember correctly the dynomax bullet mufflers are a glasspack style or something to that effect and they probably need broken in. They will grow louder. But the fact that you have resonator tips on your car actually deadens the sound too. Thats why they are called resonated tips...they absorb some of the sound into the tip...kinda like SLP's resonated dual wall tips. If you put some regular 3.5 inch exhaust tips it will probably sound a little louder at idle.
That's what I was thinking. I'm going to give them a few days and see how that works. If not to my liking then I'll switch tips and if not that then I'll try a different muffler (an option I'd REALLY like to avoid).
Old 11-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by marcosbullock
Ha! It was one cam but a helluva cam! American thunder may be a nice option but I'll have to wait. JUST put the bullets on there today. Is there a muffler to decibel chart somewhere that compares the different popular brands?
There's always the option of turndowns or just straight cut them right off at the rear of the muffler. That's how my car is now. I have my tail pipes in storage for the long trips cross country just in case.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:23 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I don't get why you would want a loud idle? Not to be a dick, but it seems ricey to me when people get all caught up in trying to make their cars as loud as possible.

I thought a car quiet at idle and loud under WOT was preferable? I guess that's just me?
Old 11-30-2009, 01:41 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Well i want a noticeable idle personally but thats just me. I dont want it to be obnoxious like SLP's with longtubes, o/r x pipe, nasty cams and idle set at like 1000rpms. But i want to hear it rumble at idle and not be silent.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:43 PM
marcosbullock
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
I don't get why you would want a loud idle? Not to be a dick, but it seems ricey to me when people get all caught up in trying to make their cars as loud as possible.

I thought a car quiet at idle and loud under WOT was preferable? I guess that's just me?
No offense taken. It's just a matter of preference. Ever since I've gotten used to the shaking rumble while sitting still I've been addicted. I know I'll need to get the cams to really feel that but I'm still used to more of a loud/low exhaust note at idle. Don't think it's ricey though...thems fightin words where I come from.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:47 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by marcosbullock
No offense taken. It's just a matter of preference. Ever since I've gotten used to the shaking rumble while sitting still I've been addicted. I know I'll need to get the cams to really feel that but I'm still used to more of a loud/low exhaust note at idle. Don't think it's ricey though...thems fightin words where I come from.
Well at least it sounds like you're looking for a good exhaust tone... we have a lot of guys that come on here looking for the cheapest way to make their car as loud as possible... that's definitely more ricey.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:48 PM
MurfGT00

go slp!
Old 11-30-2009, 01:49 PM
marcosbullock
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
Well at least it sounds like you're looking for a good exhaust tone... we have a lot of guys that come on here looking for the cheapest way to make their car as loud as possible... that's definitely more ricey.
True on the last part. And the first part of your statement is my dilemma. I know I could run open headers or something like that and get it loud as hell but it would sound like hell too. One of my favorite perks of a Mustang is the tone...I want the volume but REFUSE to sacrifice that classic stang roar to get it.

Quick Reply: Car's too dang modest!