4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

keep 4.6 or sell for new "5.0"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 08:10 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01MGGT
Just the power output f that new v6 is encouragement enough to tweak on my new edge some more. Don't want to take that chance of getting owned by a sixer lol
Companies are finally realizing that u dont need a v8 to make good power. If they would cut down on weight like imports do you wouldnt need a v8 to whoop ***.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:28 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

I feel ya OP, I have been pondering the same question. I am most likely going to get rid of it in all honesty.
My Justification:
1. 2011 is newer, vs my high mileage well worn 2000
2. Looks badass, I really love the 2010 gen.
3. Will be at least 13's out the gate, where as I have had to drop over 1k into this thing still not being able to see a 13.99.
4. I will be able to finally have a show/strip car. Clean enough for a show, fast enough for the track.

I will most likely make my decision once the 2011 is actually revealed, not just rumors.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:33 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

It's already been announced. The v6 mustang has 305 hp. I would personally sell my GT for the new 2011 mustang. 11.0 compression ratio, 4v, 302, "425" hp (this motor is going to be extremly under rated) better gas milage than our cars, 6 speed, the interior is 10 million times better and I can go on and on...
Old 12-05-2009, 10:42 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

wow, tons of responses, awesome.

yea, i keep tellin myself i should just pull out all the stops and totally mod out the 03, but theres just only so much you can do. now if i had a mach or cobra, that would a different story, but its not. i mean, probably 2 grand for paint (might as well get whole car painted) but at same time i would have to get all the body parts i plan on getting too like the cobra/bullitt skirt, cobra front bumper, cobra r hood, etc, which i think i totalled up to another 2.5 grand.

im still with stock rims, and i totalled that up to another 800. plus turbo (cheapo on3 performance, 2 grand)

and i still havent even gotten around to doing the rear suspension yet, which i planned out to be about 1.5 to 2 depending.

plus all the downtime/labor...

starts adding up quickly, where i can just wait till the craze is done, walk into the stealership and say "i want that one"

plus i learned that black paint is such a pain in the *** to take care of(first ever black car), especially if it has blemishes from before that you didnt notice, they start pointing each other out lol. so a new car also means i can get a new color

im already talkin to my wife about it, im in the military, and im about to re-enlist so a nice bonus should be helpful for down payment, along with a nice temporary duty payment i just got and my new job should be helpin tons with keepin the money flowing, miles down (i'll be flying mostly), and any maint. costs down. im kinda thinkin of skippin on a big warranty too.

and im perfectly fine with holding off on mods for a year or 2, as you can see my mod list isnt huge, and the longer you wait, the better the mods get as they come out.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:04 AM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by H0SS302
Companies are finally realizing that u dont need a v8 to make good power. If they would cut down on weight like imports do you wouldnt need a v8 to whoop ***.
except they dont... it will be even heavier. Also keep in mind today's competition... 400hp isn't what it used to be.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:26 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fobra
except they dont... it will be even heavier. Also keep in mind today's competition... 400hp isn't what it used to be.
400hp isnt what it used to be because american car makers keep making them heavier n heavier. I could take a 2003 1.8L VW GTI with bolt ons and a tune n hang with most of the GTs on this sight lol. Weight kills, thats why HP numbers keep climbing from the factory.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:58 AM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
400hp isnt what it used to be because american car makers keep making them heavier n heavier. I could take a 2003 1.8L VW GTI with bolt ons and a tune n hang with most of the GTs on this sight lol. Weight kills, thats why HP numbers keep climbing from the factory.
But the look and sound of that Mustang makes you look like you mean business. The look of that GTI says "get out of my way, I need to pick my girlfriend up at the high school in 5 minutes yo". This would be assuming a 21-25yo was driving the GTI
Old 12-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01MGGT
But the look and sound of that Mustang makes you look like you mean business. The look of that GTI says "get out of my way, I need to pick my girlfriend up at the high school in 5 minutes yo". This would be assuming a 21-25yo was driving the GTI
I've never thought of getting out of the way of a GTI, lol. Sorry I just woke up, and I thought it was funny, in my head, and that's all that counts, right?

I don't think the engine will be underrated for power, Ford's not exactly known for that, buy with rising cafe' standards, I'm very sure it's going to be loaded down with even more "green" crap. It's going to be very easy to make up the difference or FWhp and RWhp and maybe even a little more. I'm sure we'll be keeping up with Acura and some GM's but don't expect a miracle people.

Ford is the common mans car, sold at a common mans wages, the faster and better it is out of the box, the more expensive it has to be. So be careful what you're wishing for. Ford can just as easily turn into another GM.

I'm just hoping for a good base. It's my blood & sweat that I earn by working on my cars that make them uniquely mine, not the title.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Luna Moona
1st Gear Member

For the price of a new car, couldn't you find a Terminator for around the same price? More horse power, weighs less, a galaxy of aftermarket mods for it. Plus, they're just plain ****ing awesome.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Fobra
Banned

yeah for 8 year old car... why wouldn't you? Im sorry i like termis, but they are not that great. They get good rep because you can make them fast with little out of pocket expense and regular sized car payment, but you could do alot better if you spend the same money and built the car on your own.

Quick Reply: keep 4.6 or sell for new "5.0"?