4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Which CAI should I use JLT vs. BBK

Old 12-06-2009, 10:39 PM
cbbass123
1st Gear Member

The stock cai is just as good as any with a k&n filter. If you like making the motor look pretty...the bbk works great. And yes...air travels too fast to be greatly affected by the metal tubing. Basically any cai intake sucking air from fender will work just the same or better than stock. Once you start sucking air from motor...your doing worse than a stock intake.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:49 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

bottom line to me is why spend 200+ dollars to add what 2-5rwhp if that and have a shiny intake. That is just a waste of money to me. You could buy gears for less than that and its a million times better mod than a cai. Its not like NFS where you put a cai on there and it adds 30rwhp and for those of you that are gonna say well you have one! than i guess you didnt read the whole thread cause i explained why i have it...
Old 12-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Kmelfi11
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98redstang
bottom line to me is why spend 200+ dollars to add what 2-5rwhp if that and have a shiny intake. That is just a waste of money to me. You could buy gears for less than that and its a million times better mod than a cai. Its not like NFS where you put a cai on there and it adds 30rwhp and for those of you that are gonna say well you have one! than i guess you didnt read the whole thread cause i explained why i have it...
you can say that about every bolt on for a 2v. you will never "feel" the difference even when doing a few mods at one time. I have a bbk cai and it works fine, my car makes good numbers and has good track times. just flip a coin, it doesnt matter.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fobra
I dont see how that it is possible. I have driven in plenty deep water for years with no problems ever. I think this is a myth that needs to be dispelled. Unless you are forging a river, there is no way to suck up water. And my car is slammed btw. Were you the poster who hydro locked a while back? i think something else happened... lol I just find it impossible...
I've read several posts from people accidentally getting into deeper water than they expected and hydrolocking their cars. My K&N is in the stock position. I got into some really deep water last year. Even in the stock location enough water got though the filter to fowl the MAF. Not an easy task since it had to go through the supercharger, intercooler, and tubing to get there.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:01 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kmelfi11
you can say that about every bolt on for a 2v. you will never "feel" the difference even when doing a few mods at one time. I have a bbk cai and it works fine, my car makes good numbers and has good track times. just flip a coin, it doesnt matter.
I think if you do a full exhuast and/or gears youll definatly feel a difference. And trust me im not one of those peoople who say i felt a difference from every little bolt on thats put in. Do you not realize that pretty much everyone on here besides you is saying that the cai is a waste of money?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:07 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

CAI's aren't a waste of money, just don't expect to feel a horsepower difference.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:54 AM
lilcrate
4th Gear Member

It isn't like 200 dollars is a whole lot of money for a mod. Especially one that is easily installed by oneself and looks good under the hood. I'm not against buying CAI, just don't expect a lot from it.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:51 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

If you're into drag racing, why not just buy some gears or a short shifter (cough cough MGW)? I bought the JLT "True CAI" and I wish I would have just save my money and bought gears a long time ago. Nothing against the CAI, it sounds cool, but doesn't give you any real gains that it seems like you're looking for.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Kmelfi11
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98redstang
I think if you do a full exhuast and/or gears youll definatly feel a difference. And trust me im not one of those peoople who say i felt a difference from every little bolt on thats put in. Do you not realize that pretty much everyone on here besides you is saying that the cai is a waste of money?
do you realize that i just said even a few bolt ons wont give you the feeling youd expect from the money you spent, or really any at all. if your just doing a cai or that and exhaust, yes money can be better spent elsewhere. if you did all the bolt ons then why would you not get a cai? for f*ck sake people spend more money to have billet sh*t covering the interior and under the hood, now thats a waste of money. long tubes back, yes youll feel it. if you slap a cat back or even cat back and mid pipe youll think you feel it more then you actually do.

gears are obvious that it doesnt just feel quicker but will show results, i figured that is known and didnt need to be justified. guess i was wrong, gears should be anyones first mod!!!

ifsofacto spend more time driving and less time buying parts to compensate. DR's are not a fix for lack of clutch and throttle control, which is always the advice given when someone comes here with a 2.3 60ft. 12.5 @ 112 is only saying your car is faster then you can drive it. driver mod > bolt ons. and its free, just go have fun and beat on your car!!!

short throw... mgw... ftw.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Sonic_Stang
1st Gear Member

My opinion is to keep the stock intak and just throw in a K&N Drop in filter from American Muscle. I picked up my K&N CAI for $60, I'm very happy I didn't spend more i would have been very dissapointed with the measly gains I made. If your looking for something that makes your engine bay look a little more badass this definently isn't the worst investment. If your looking strictly for a performance mod I'd recommend doing the drop in filter. Ford did great with the stock intake except for the stupid paper filter. My engine bay is prettier than my friends GT's with my K&N FIPK CAI I can't say it would be worth $200. Check for a used one, with a majority of CAI companies you can wash the filter. Do what feels right to you. Your mustang is an expression of yourself make it look, sound and haul *** as fast as you want.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which CAI should I use JLT vs. BBK