4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Longtubes, Shorties, Midpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 04:52 AM
Sonic_Stang
1st Gear Member

Default Longtubes, Shorties, Midpipe?

What's up guys it's been a while since I've wrote on here. I have an exhaust question, I've researched like crazy and can't seem to find any information. I'm running Pypes Violator Catback with stock manifolds and stock midpipe. My 2001 GT is my DD and I'm not planning to run a S/C or Turbo just strictly Bolt-Ons. So here it goes. I understand longtubes give you overall better torque and hp. I've heard that shorties can do almost the same if combined with an off road x pipe. Will I get better performance out of long tubes with a catted midpipe, Or shorties with an off road x pipe. My plan would be to switch out the midpipe during "emissions" time if I went with shorties. Or should I just get an off road x pipe and call it good? I hear you can get decent gains from an off road x pipe and stock manifolds. Either way I wanna open up the exhaust a little more. I'm on a tight budget. Are headers an over rated daily drive upgrade? Will an off road x pipe make a big difference. Thank you any comments would be appreciated.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:24 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

IMO i'd go longtubes..they sound awesome and give a pretty nice gain!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:55 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Go with lts and the catted h pipe hands down. Thats what i had and than later on made my o/r h using my stock h pipe. But the catted h with the lts sounds amazing. Its a little quieter at idle but once you get on it it wakes up big time.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:45 AM
soccerman002
2nd Gear Member

If it's just a DD, I'd leave the stock manifolds in place and pick up a catted h-pipe or x-pipe.

My recommendation would be a catted h-pipe from MRT.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:57 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98redstang
Go with lts and the catted h pipe hands down. Thats what i had and than later on made my o/r h using my stock h pipe. But the catted h with the lts sounds amazing. Its a little quieter at idle but once you get on it it wakes up big time.
+1...i agree! I run long tubes with a catted h, and some loud a** mufflers, and it sounds incredible! Except my idle is pretty loud too lol.

OP, since you'll have to swap that o/r x for a catted pipe when emission time rolls around, i'd just get a shorty catted pipe now with the long tubes. The gains with long tubes and a catted pipe will be much better than short tubes and a o/r pipe. The sound from the long tubes alone will be deeper, and more muscle car sounding imo.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:05 AM
IEGT1015
3rd Gear Member

dont get shorties, for all the work your going to do putting them in, you might aswell get long tubes. I'd go with mac or pypes with a matching mid pipe, x or h, whatever sounds best to you.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:57 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by soccerman002
If it's just a DD, I'd leave the stock manifolds in place and pick up a catted h-pipe or x-pipe.

My recommendation would be a catted h-pipe from MRT.
whats your logic behind that? mines a DD? I commute about an hour and a half round trip sometimes twice a day for college why is it a better choice to not go with lts?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

shorties are 98% worthless! Stick with stock manifolds or go long tubes.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:12 AM
soccerman002
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98redstang
whats your logic behind that? mines a DD? I commute about an hour and a half round trip sometimes twice a day for college why is it a better choice to not go with lts?
Everyone will tell you different, but from what I've read the stock manifolds aren't pieces of crap and flow decently well. Couple that with the cost of longtubes and either paying $$$ to have them put in, or going through the headache of doing it yourself, and to me I'd rather put my money elsewhere. Some people worry about ground clearance as well, something I don't want to deal with (had a lowered car prior to my Cobra, it was a PITA).

The numbers vary by who you talk to, but I don't think the stock manifolds are a bottleneck for power until you start approaching extreme levels. I'm not saying that LT's won't net any gains, because they most certainly will, but IMO the gains aren't worth the money and install headache unless you just simply gotta have 'em, or pick them up for a cheap price, have a hook-up on install, don't mind a DIY, etc.

To each their own, just do what makes you happy with what you're driving.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

For the cost you're not talking a lot of gain getting long-tubes and perhaps two sets of mid-pipes. For your situation I believe the best plan would be to keep the stock manifolds and get an off/road pipe. I personally believe that most of the gain comes from the off-road mid-pipe. Then get a tuner to turn off your rear O-2 sensors. That way all you have to do is to put the stock mid-pipe back on for inspection.

Quick Reply: Longtubes, Shorties, Midpipe?