4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Vortech vrs. Procharger, what do you think??

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 04:24 PM
lilcrate
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ct_white_stang
See my tuner disagrees big time. He said the imput shaft is larger and stronger on the procharger and the actual impeller is made stronger or something. I may have messed up what he said though, its been awhile since we talked about which blower to choose. There was like 4 or 5 points he raised including once you add the intercooler for a vortech you are at the same price for a procharger.
My current tuner (Mustang Muscle) sold me on Vortech. He said they have had problems with Prochargers getting really hot and even had brackets melt. I haven't had my Vortech for long enough to review (3 months or so), and my tuner is not me. So no serious opinion, just a tidbit to add.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:03 PM
shaun12
2nd Gear Member

so when i do actually get a blower ill belloking to get the inter cooler with it....

i like the air-air cooler that procharger offers. simple and looks reliable.

i dont like the air-water-air cooler vortech offers. if im racing i dont want to have to keep putting cold ice into the tank to keep good low times at the track.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Fobra
Banned

the air to water is "better" but for a street car the air to air is fine, it works and its extremely reliable. Vortech is cheaper and better and will make more power, the p1sc had an advantage with the step up ratio in comparison to the v-1, but now the v2 puts that to a tie. Neither are bad, but ease of ownership is way better on the vortech.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:51 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Why hasn't anybody mentioned paxton to him? The novi2000 is a great blower, and has more potential then the s trim.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Black_GT_02
4th Gear Member

My procharger d1 head unit leaked but even so i would never go any other centri. amazing blower.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:17 AM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

The tuner I've been talking to does alot of prochargers and novis. I mentioned the belts to him, he says he's never had a problem and is convinced if your chewing belts up you have a problem with the pulleys lining up.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:36 AM
dennis_112
3rd Gear Member

I have been procharged for 3+ years now. I might be able to shed some light on a couple things mentioned thus far. First the leaking issue is caused by the user not changing the plastic seals for the drain plug and the on the fill plug. Its really that simple if you change the seals that get wore out it won't leak. I also agree that if your chewing up belts you have an alignment issue. I have never had any of these or any other problems with my procharger. They have awesome customer service and amazing quality products. Ever been to a NMRA race? Procharger is def the leader in the market. You just don't see many race cars with a kenne bell or vortech blower. But u def see a lot of Procharged ones for good reason. Procharger is the only choice in centri blowers.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

I have been running a ProCharger for over 2 years and over 50,000 miles without any significant problems. I have never had a belt shred. I have only changed my belt once. That was 30,000 miles ago so I think I need to change it again. A mechanic told me my pulleys weren't lined up properly just after the ProCharger was first installed. A washer behind the idler pulley solved the problem.

ProChargers do have a tendency to leak if they are overfilled. They seap oil out of the fill screw and a little bit of supercharger oil goes a long way. Mine's just started doing it again because I overfilled it last time. ProCharger sells their own supercharger oil. The bottle says to use the entire bottle for a P-1SC but you don't want to do that. You use about 85% of it because you want the oil level to be just below full on the dipstick.

I read a post once from a guy whose Vortech hyrolocked his motor bending a rod because a seal went out and it pumped engine oil into the cylinder. Malfunctions can occur on any mechanical device.

Both are good superchargers. I do not regret getting a ProCharger.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lilcrate
My current tuner (Mustang Muscle) sold me on Vortech. He said they have had problems with Prochargers getting really hot and even had brackets melt.
Have you seen a ProCharger bracket? How do you melt a heavy metal bracket without setting everything else on fire? I doubt that this is true.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:35 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I've had a vortech V-2 S-trim for 2 years now... I installed it, and yup, that's it. Haven't looked at it or thought about it since.

I also bought my head unit used, so I have no idea how many miles are really on it. But she's still running like a champ.

Quick Reply: Vortech vrs. Procharger, what do you think??