4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

terminator cobra spoiler on gt?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 03:12 AM
BladeX10
2nd Gear Member

Default terminator cobra spoiler on gt?

is it a direct swap? does anyone have any pics of it on their gt? thanks
Old 12-14-2009, 03:51 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

The Cobra wing is bolted on by 7 bolts. You will need to drill 3 extra holes on the top (basically in front of where your 3rd brakelight currently is) and 2 on the backside which is more optional and harder to measure out. The GT trunklid harness is not a direct plug and play to the Cobra spoilers brakelight wiring plug and will require splicing in. If you want everything to fit nicely and OEM looking then your best bet is to spend the $60 or so for a Cobra trunklid harness from Ford that way you can just plug it right up and also buy a Cobra trunklight. The GT 3rd brakelight piece has the trunklight embedded in it and installing a Cobra wing requires the removal of this piece.

Don't forget that your GT spoiler is held on by 4 bolts and 2 of which are used for the Cobra wing. The other 2 in front will then be exposed so it's up to you on how you want to cover them. Some people fill it in and paint over it. You can also get some nylon hole plugs and paint them to match your car and just plug them up as a quick and easy fix which is what I did.

I pretty much followed this write-up when installing mine which you can look over as well: http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...-write-up.html

These things are hard to find but if you can also get the trunklid I would do that too to save yourself the hassle of measuring out the holes which is pretty hard to do. I double checked mine like 7 times and in the end was off by a little bit. Overall I am pretty happy with it but plan on purchasing a termi trunklid in the future.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:29 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

If youre going to do this, do it right. Find an 03 cobra decklid and spoiler and get them painted to match your car.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:26 PM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

Wow thats a good write up. It is much easier to just buy the whole decklid, but it is also around $500 from what i've seen. Is there anywhere that sells the a bolt-on spoiler? I've been looking since I got my GT and haven't found one.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:29 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

You will need to shave and fill your holes on your decklid too... add another $100 at least
Old 12-14-2009, 09:28 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by natedog
Wow thats a good write up. It is much easier to just buy the whole decklid, but it is also around $500 from what i've seen. Is there anywhere that sells the a bolt-on spoiler? I've been looking since I got my GT and haven't found one.
Yeah they are really hard to find. You just have to be really active in looking for Cobra part out threads and jump on them quick since they are one of the first pieces to go.

I got mine for $230 which at the time I thought was a good deal and I guess still is.

I say "I thought it was a good deal" because just a 2 months ago I stumbled by a local guy parting out a non-wrecked terminator and I picked up the trunklid and spoiler from him for $175!!! The deal of the century. To be honest I was thinking about using the trunklid and then selling the wing but I decided to be a nice friend and sell the whole thing to a buddy of mine who really wanted one for his 01 cobra for the same price I got it for.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:47 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Lame, the purpose of buddies is to make a little money on them...not a killing like you could have just kidding. Youre a good friend...wish i had you as a friend. lol
Old 01-03-2010, 11:48 PM
jedquist
1st Gear Member

bump...
Old 12-12-2010, 09:14 PM
TEXASx2000xMUSTANGx
2nd Gear Member

where can i find a cobra decklid??
Old 12-12-2010, 09:22 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TEXASx2000xMUSTANGx
where can i find a cobra decklid??
eBay, cobra part-out threads, salvage yards (if you are super lucky)...

Quick Reply: terminator cobra spoiler on gt?